Dirt floor vs wood shavings for coop

Just pine shavings does not a true composting deep litter make....
.......you need a mix of materials as well as some organism laden soil, and maybe some added moisture, to get things 'growing/breaking down'.

Ventilation is key for reducing odors.
I use only pine shavings on floor but sand/PDZ mix on poop boards, and have tons of 24/7 ventilation......
.....and there are still odors some mornings when fresh cecals have been dropped.

'Deep bedding' is not the same as 'deep litter'.

TalkALittle's post on DB vs DL: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1075545/can-i-do-deep-litter-method-with-this-coop#post_16440037

Here's a great description of contents and how to manage organic 'bedding' in a run or coop...and there's a great video of what it looks like.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1037998/muddy-run-help-please#post_16017992

Ok well it seems i completely misunderstood the deep litter method, i have been trying to keep my shavings as dry as possible which, as i now understand, would be classed as deep bedding. Probably should have done a little more research before getting started.

I had a ton of dead leaves available to use during the autumn which sounds like it would be great to mix with the shavings, there are still some around so will just have to make do with a lower amount.

The video was very helpful in showing what a deep litter bedding should look like which is basically just compost, mine looks more sterile than that so will work on adding some stuff to help it along.

Is it a good idea to add earthworms to help speed the breakdown plus give the chickens something to dig for?

Ok well it seems i completely misunderstood the deep litter method, i have been trying to keep my shavings as dry as possible which, as i now understand, would be classed as deep bedding. Probably should have done a little more research before getting started.

I had a ton of dead leaves available to use during the autumn which sounds like it would be great to mix with the shavings, there are still some around so will just have to make do with a lower amount.

The video was very helpful in showing what a deep litter bedding should look like which is basically just compost, mine looks more sterile than that so will work on adding some stuff to help it along.

Is it a good idea to add earthworms to help speed the breakdown plus give the chickens something to dig for?
Don't feel bad, many folks misunderstand deep litter.
Yes, basically compost...you need mass(why the depth of a foot), some moisture, a mix of brown/green(in a coop the poop is most of the green).
All that supports the essential colony of micro and macro organisms that actually do the work of breaking things down. Getting and keeping that colony in residence is why deep litter works best on a dirt floored coop, the exposure to the ground helps keep the whole thing balanced with temps, moisture, and population.

Just adding leaves and worms isn't going to do the trick.
Getting the depth up with a variety of materials and a good adding active compost to jump start things might work.

"I want the easiest maintenance method so being a lazy man's choice of bedding of choice is very enticing. When you clean it out in spring, do you empty everything out or leave some in there to help compost "

I found the deep litter / deep bedding not suited to my coop. Moisture was a problem and it was hard to walk on.You have to plan for 12-24 inches which means doors , nesting boxes have to all be changed. I highly recommend sand as the easiest to maintain and has many many benefits. The dust bathing that goes on and the soft dry floor is great on young and old feet(including my feet)I buy sand bags full of sand from a landscape guy . Have my wheelbarrow full of sand to top it up . Poop boards are full of sand , and a cat litter scoop is all I need to clean .

Good luck and have Fun
1f423.png

Last edited:
Don't feel bad, many folks misunderstand deep litter.
Yes, basically compost...you need mass(why the depth of a foot), some moisture, a mix of brown/green(in a coop the poop is most of the green).
All that supports the essential colony of micro and macro organisms that actually do the work of breaking things down. Getting and keeping that colony in residence is why deep litter works best on a dirt floored coop, the exposure to the ground helps keep the whole thing balanced with temps, moisture, and population.

Getting the depth up with a variety of materials and a good adding active compost to jump start things might work.

It makes sense that it would be ideal on a dirt floor but what if that isn't an option? The coop was built on top of a solid concrete surface so would still work? I'm sure depth is probably even more important on a concrete floor but i don't think i could go any higher than 12"

"I want the easiest maintenance method so being a lazy man's choice of bedding of choice is very enticing. When you clean it out in spring, do you empty everything out or leave some in there to help compost "

I found the deep litter / deep bedding not suited to my coop. Moisture was a problem and it was hard to walk on.You have to plan for 12-24 inches which means doors , nesting boxes have to all be changed. I highly recommend sand as the easiest to maintain and has many many benefits. The dust bathing that goes on and the soft dry floor is great on young and old feet(including my feet)I buy sand bags full of sand from a landscape guy . Have my wheelbarrow full of sand to top it up . Poop boards are full of sand , and a cat litter scoop is all I need to clean .

Good luck and have Fun
1f423.png

Do you ever have to empty any sand out of the coop? One of my main issues with sand is not adding it to the coop but getting rid of it

Quote: It could work on concrete, if you have a good mix of materials(most importantly including some 'starter' compost full of organism activity) and moisture.
Can depend on climate too....putting your location in your profile might help folks give better answers/suggestions.
Posting a pic of your coop and details on your flock(numbers, age, genders) might shed some light.

Quote: Exactly....eventually the sand becomes saturated with pulverized poop and can be very stinky if it gets damp/wet.

Poop boards are key here.....as a lot of the poop is removed often.
I sift my poop boards every day or two and poop is composted offsite.

It could work on concrete, if you have a good mix of materials(most importantly including some 'starter' compost full of organism activity) and moisture.
Can depend on climate too....putting your location in your profile might help folks give better answers/suggestions.
Posting a pic of your coop and details on your flock(numbers, age, genders) might shed some light.

Exactly....eventually the sand becomes saturated with pulverized poop and can be very stinky if it gets damp/wet.

Location location location! Lol... Specifics are helpful! Concrete can be great... if you decide to go with deep bedding / litter, and your worried about rot you can always line the perimeter with concrete board or sheet metal or concrete block... I painted my studs in my mobile coop with an industrial enamel (work's great!) You also might have to make the door swing out, instead of inside... So many options!

Also, I would definitely not feel bad! It is so beneficial to ask questions!I guarantee others have similar questions, and we all get to learn together!

Good luck and have Fun
1f423.png

Do you ever have to empty any sand out of the coop? One of my main issues with sand is not adding it to the coop but getting rid of it

Yes, I have removed wet sand the won't dry , I just scoop it into the run, threw the door with a shovel ... easy!!

Don't feel bad, many folks misunderstand deep litter.

Getting the depth up with a variety of materials and a good adding active compost to jump start things might work.

It makes sense that it would be ideal on a dirt floor but what if that isn't an option? The coop was built on top of a solid concrete surface so would still work? I'm sure depth is probably even more important on a concrete floor but i don't think i could go any higher than 12"

It could work on concrete, if you have a good mix of materials(most importantly including some 'starter' compost full of organism activity) and moisture.

I found the deep litter / deep bedding not suited to my coop. Moisture was a problem and it was hard to walk on.You have to plan for 12-24 inches which means doors , nesting boxes have to all be changed. I highly recommend sand as the easiest to maintain and has many many benefits. The dust bathing that goes on and the soft dry floor is great on young and old feet(including my feet)I buy sand bags full of sand from a landscape guy . Have my wheelbarrow full of sand to top it up . Poop boards are full of sand[/cat litter scoop to clean

Do you ever have to empty any sand out of the coop? One of my main issues with sand is not adding it to the coop but getting rid of it

Exactly....eventually the sand becomes saturated with pulverized poop and can be very stinky if it gets damp/wet.

Most adult chickens don't poop lots inside, mine go at night on the roost over the poop board or outside, I do scoop a few in the coop with the litter scoop .... also as they do in daycare sandboxes sand CAN be sanitized with vircon or freshened up with vinegar.

Any topic here has many sides, some love deep litter some love shavings and some sand. You might have to try a few to see what you like. I started with deep litter, not for me you can say I did it wrong , It was not clean enough for me or my shoes
1f423.png

Another benefit of sand... when they get treats in the winter inside ( corn on the cob, lettuce or even cooked eggs) they get sand on it and have instant grit
1f60a.png
, shake and bake !!

Back
Top Bottom