Dirty coons!

Live traps seem much easier to me. I was a trapper during college and high school, but I prefer live traps. I have them figured out now and always catch my coon. I use canned fish like sardines. I pour the juice in a trail leading to the front of the trap, and then a little inside it. I do the same with the fish, and put some in the entrance, and then some in the back where it can't be reached from the outside.
Coons can't resist if it smells good enough.
I started using a .22 to "dispatch" them before I open the cage.

If live traps weighed 10x less and were small/compact i'd carry em on my trap line.

But,when my trap line is two miles long ,and im carrying 20 traps i'd wrether em be footholds! LOL (60 lbs vs.400lbs)

Plus,footholds fool them bobcats,and yodelhammers,better than the live traps.and city slickers dont see em as well,so they dont get stolen.If you set a foothold good enough the untrained eye wont even know its there.

My experiences with live traps:|

Quote:
? live (cage) traps come in a variety of sizes and wire meshes, and are available in collapsable configurations. HarborFreight carries a whole line of them that are light, small, and fold up into compact little bundles.

That said, I certainly wouldn't prefer to run a line with cages as opposed to footholds. The success of cages are much less than footholds.

Of course legholds are better for running trap lines. I thought this was a forum for backyard chicken growers?????
In this scenario, live traps are better IMO.
In the woods, etc. Leghold traps are better. Try running legholds around houses and see how many unpleasant experiences you will have with neighbors dogs howling and waking everybody up, etc.
That was my point. I am not ignorant enough to think live traps will catch more animals on a large scale. Think context here guys.....

i have five chickens and live in the burbs of chicago like 20 minutes from the wisconsin border. we have coons cyotes opossums and skunks and some vicious deer (jk about the vicious deer) i am going to start setting traps again because i hear some nasty noises outside at night. i can only use cage traps cause my neighbors let their cats roam arround and killing those is a no no. if i catch any predators i take them on a 10 minute constant submersion dive in the pond. it makes them so darn sleepy
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom