First loss

ChickenTenderz

Chirping
Mar 21, 2023
I just went out to count & lock up our girls for the night, and one is missing! They always go in on their own, I just count to see all 8 are there and close the door until morning....they love free ranging in our yard and hanging out under the bushes. I grabbed a flashlight and searched the yard for our missing girl. Unfortunately, I only found some scattered feathers. I'm afraid a hawk got her since we've had one hanging around lately. She was the head of the flock so I'm sure the girls are all shaken up. And she was my daughter's favorite hen as well, she raised them all from day old chicks and our missing girl Pepper was the biggest, prettiest, friendliest of all. 😥

I know it's a long shot that she returns or is even still alive. Though I loved the story of the prodigal hen on this forum. Any tips on helping our flock regroup?

RIP Pepper
20230828_175826.jpg

She's a black Australorp and was quite large, I was really surprised a hawk would come after such a large hen. Our backyard is fenced in and the only other predator I've seen are skunks but by the time they come out, our girls are back in their super secure coop.

I'm still holding out hope that she's just hiding somewhere but at the same time, I'm afraid she's gone.

Hawks will definitely attack large fowl hens, but they will not be able to carry them off, so will make the kill, pluck their feathers and eat them on site. So unless a larger predator (ex. fox, coyote, bobcat, etc.) was able to grab and carry her away, I agree with the others that it's possible you will discover her alive in the morn. Since the hawk will be back, I would go out soon after daybreak in the morn to look for her. (or her remains.😔). Ocassionally these types of stories do have happy endings; I hope yours is one of them.

I'm still holding out hope that she's just hiding somewhere but at the same time, I'm afraid she's gone.
Either is possible. My favourite hen disappeared after a dog attack in June 2022 and didn't come back till 3 days later, so don't rush to draw conclusions.

edited to add, this was a happy ending. Not only did she come back in one piece, but while she was gone I set her eggs laid over the previous week under another hen who'd gone broody at exactly that time, and now there are 6 of her offspring here too.
V's daughters thumb.jpg

Last edited:
UPDATE: I found Pepper's body today. She was near where I found her feathers last night under some Leyland Cypress in the back corner of our yard.
Now I want to figure out what killed her to keep our other girls safe. I first thought hawk, but since I found her body I'm thinking it was something else. Whatever it was only ate her head, the body is intact. What a terrible waste of a great laying hen 😒.
I was busy repainting a room inside and didn't see what happened. I know they were all ok that afternoon because I took a break and hand fed them a can of tuna for a treat around noon. I saw them later in the afternoon around 3:45 but didn't check again until after dark when I went to close them up for the night. I hate to keep locked up in the run all the time since they love foraging in the yard and are begging to get out today. But I can't keep them safe any other way especially since I don't know what killed Pepper.
What would just eat the head and leave all the meat?

UPDATE: I found Pepper's body today. She was near where I found her feathers last night under some Leyland Cypress in the back corner of our yard.
Now I want to figure out what killed her to keep our other girls safe. I first thought hawk, but since I found her body I'm thinking it was something else. Whatever it was only ate her head, the body is intact. What a terrible waste of a great laying hen 😒.
I was busy repainting a room inside and didn't see what happened. I know they were all ok that afternoon because I took a break and hand fed them a can of tuna for a treat around noon. I saw them later in the afternoon around 3:45 but didn't check again until after dark when I went to close them up for the night. I hate to keep locked up in the run all the time since they love foraging in the yard and are begging to get out today. But I can't keep them safe any other way especially since I don't know what killed Pepper.
What would just eat the head and leave all the meat
From the little I have learned id be thinking it was a stray dog. I’d say a 12 gauge is in order.

Considering you've got hawks hanging around they should be your #1 suspect.
They're tear strips of flesh and carry it back to their nest to feed their babies this time of year. Unless your chickens are locked up you run the risk of losing more because whatever it is will come back for more.I say 'whatever' because it could still be something else.Owls will eat the heads off and leave the rest. Just because you haven't seen one doesn't mean one isn't around. Night predators will come out to hunt early sometimes and day predators will hunt after dark if still hungry( not a hawk as they have poor night vision)I'm sorry for your loss!

Back
Top Bottom