Dirty legs/scales during Scaly mite treatment - should I be doing something different?

My Three Chicks

Crowing
May 3, 2021
Seattle, WA
I had posted last week that I suspected that one of my girls had scaly leg mites because her scales were slightly raised and she seemed to be holding her feet/legs up more often and pecking at them a bit. (I checked from bumblefoot, injury, etc. - she was good there). So I decided to start scaly mite treatment. I washed her legs then slathered them with Vaseline. They got really dirty as everything was sticking to the Vaseline. And dirt was now getting under her scales too. So 2 days later I washed them again and used mineral oil instead. Same thing. Her legs look really dirty and it can't be wiped off since it's now under the scales. What do you all suggest? Seems like the dirt under the scales isn't a good thing? But not sure how to prevent her legs from being a magnet to dirt with Vaseline/oil on them. Am I doing something wrong? Should I keep treating her?
20230110_130451 (1).jpg
20230114_162325 (1).jpg

The oil and dirt will wear off or you can wash the legs, take an old soft toothbrush or nailbrush and lightly clean the legs when you wash them. Reapply the oil or vaseline.
You're not doing anything wrong. Dirt is going to stick the oil/vaseline.
Thanks. I’ve been washing her legs/feet and using a washcloth as she’s standing in water every 2-3 days and reapplying oil. Not even sure if she has scaly mites but will keep on doing it for now!

I think you are doing fine. It’s normal for dirt to stick to the oil. Yes, it looks like lifted scales from mild leg mites. Some people use castor oil, which may be a bit less messy. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom