Discouraging Mounting and Feather Pulling?

GeeseGoose

Chirping
Jul 17, 2020
Hello, all! Is there a way I can discourage my duck (all female flock, 2 ducks 1 goose) from mounting the other for her poor necks sake?

Pepper (Swedish blue) is feisty, so naturally, she assumed dominance over timid little Sally (Duclair.) While they get along wonderfully 99% of the time, Pepper likes to remind Sally who’s the big cheese in the kiddie pool. While this is a natural behavior, poor Sally has developed a thin patch on the nape of her neck recently, and I’m getting a bit concerned. It’s *not* terribly bad like a bald patch or bleeding, but I obviously don’t want it to get to that point!

Other than “lifeguarding” during pool time to break up any cat fights, is there anything else I can do to discourage this behavior?
(The dark spot above the thin patch is dirt- they haven’t had their morning bath yet, and Sally is a very sloppy girl!)

Attachments

• 617BCD3F-B8CE-4A10-8C10-9B90189CBD34.jpeg
    617BCD3F-B8CE-4A10-8C10-9B90189CBD34.jpeg
    546.2 KB · Views: 14
  • 987BAB51-781C-46D3-B687-2C1B6811E33E.jpeg
    987BAB51-781C-46D3-B687-2C1B6811E33E.jpeg
    494.9 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
My flock of 5 is 2.5 years old and they also have this behavior - usually around water, but one will occasionally do it on dry land. I just hover when they're in the pond and discourage it - if I see it I break it up because once my duck was pulling dangerously close to the other one's eye.

My flock of 5 is 2.5 years old and they also have this behavior - usually around water, but one will occasionally do it on dry land. I just hover when they're in the pond and discourage it - if I see it I break it up because once my duck was pulling dangerously close to the other one's eye.
Thank you for the response! I felt that may be the best option

@GeeseGoose By the way, what's your experience like with a Duclair? I just got one, Dolly, 5 weeks ago. Do you find Sally to be quite a bit smaller than a pekin? Dolly is still a baby and fingers are crossed that she truly is a Duclair as I was going for a smaller duck than the pekin, but I know someone on BYC received pekins by mistake. Either way, she's adorable and sweet and I do love her!

Back
Top Bottom