Male Pekin Ducks Ripping Neck Feathers Out - Female Ducks Neck Severely damaged :( Help!

Thank You Everyone who replied! You all are so sweet and I appreciate your kind words.

Here are some photo's of Delilah's neck as of last night as requested. WARNING: The content in the photo's may be too much for some.

Please excuse her beak/face, we interrupted her when she was face deep in a mud puddle looking for bugs and worms so she's covered in mud and hay lol. Just looking at these photo's makes my heart hurt for her! I'm praying there is something I can do to help it heal up and make her more comfortable.

20190317_203310.jpg
20190317_203310.jpg

Attachments

• 20190317_203318.jpg
    20190317_203318.jpg
    284.1 KB · Views: 14
Poor thing yes drakes need time out away from females to give females time to heal. Put some neosporin or spray with Veterycin

Miss Lydia Thank You so much! You have helped me out quite a few times so I'm becoming your biggest fan over here, no big deal :)

I may give the veterycin a go since it's gotten so severe. I was putting a little non-pain relief antibiotic ointment on it.

I really like the spray veterycin because nothing stick to it like an ointment will pick up everything. Thank you appreciate what you said. She'll heal just fine it will just take a bit of time and no boys. :hugs
I'm following your advice and I bought the veterycin spray and applied it today! You were right - totally better than the ointment, she doesn't get anything stuck to it. We took an old tube sock and cut the foot section of the sock off and we use the remaining "tube" as a bandage, slide it over her head, and then use some athletic tape to secure it so the boys can't tug it down if they get after her.

Is there not something you can put on the female duck's neck that would taste terrible to a male duck and discourage him.
That would be interesting... I've never heard of anything like that and doubt it would work male ducks will pretty much always try to mate things.

Back
Top Bottom