Discussion of Legbar Standard of Perfection for -Alternative- Legbars - SOP discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will take a shot, and then expect to be corrected. It will be a decent test... His Saddle and Hackles are a close match, and definitely to my eye look Cream. I can't tell if any of his tail feathers are actually white, but near the top some of them do not have great barring. (Is that a thing) To me he looks like what a lot of people are working towards. Really from this shot that is about all I can tell. I will look forward to other comments.

Spot on on the white tail feathers. It is allowed in the SOP - and some people don't like them - in my flock, they are the first ones that fall out in the molt - or they just fall out in the pen...so it is a look that comes and goes-- seriously.

to my eye the cream is a more definite cream, and contrasted with the white in the tail, and the white parts of the wing triangle...there is a difference.

I agree with 1muttsfan that the green may be influencing the 'look' -- just as the green background influenced the look of chicken Pickin's birds -- and the cream really popped when the bird was standing in snow. I kind of say if the earlobe is white, and the hackles match the earlobe, then the hackles are white. Sam Brush mentioned in Dallas last year that he wanted to see the white earlobe stand out-- and that would be more likely with a bird like the 2014. A good goal for all of us to have those enamel white earlobes.
I agree on both of these. He looks like a nice warm pale butter cream color, hid hackles and saddles seemingly match. The cream does seem to show up and stand out against the white in the tail and wing triangle. I would like to see more barring in the wing triangle and I do not prefer the white sickles. Is this one of your birds @ChicKat or an example you found else where?

I think that I agree with ChicKat that if the hackles match the earlobes then the hackles are too white.

I agree on working on the nice enamel white earlobes. I cull for earlobes that have red leakage or are tinged yellow. I also dislike the shape of the Rees earlobes, so I will be culling some juveniles around the corner for that. I almost wish I hatched out a few more to evaluate. Though I have some good contenders in my young CL group that might stick around.

I do think often backgrounds and lighting can change how these males look in pictures, so we just need to do our best to post the best representation of what we visually see with our own eyes.

Spot on on the white tail feathers. It is allowed in the SOP - and some people don't like them - in my flock, they are the first ones that fall out in the molt - or they just fall out in the pen...so it is a look that comes and goes-- seriously.

to my eye the cream is a more definite cream, and contrasted with the white in the tail, and the white parts of the wing triangle...there is a difference.

I agree with 1muttsfan that the green may be influencing the 'look' -- just as the green background influenced the look of chicken Pickin's birds -- and the cream really popped when the bird was standing in snow. I kind of say if the earlobe is white, and the hackles match the earlobe, then the hackles are white. Sam Brush mentioned in Dallas last year that he wanted to see the white earlobe stand out-- and that would be more likely with a bird like the 2014. A good goal for all of us to have those enamel white earlobes.

White in the tail feathers would usually be a fault with the APA.

Walt

I agree on both of these. He looks like a nice warm pale butter cream color, hid hackles and saddles seemingly match. The cream does seem to show up and stand out against the white in the tail and wing triangle. I would like to see more barring in the wing triangle and I do not prefer the white sickles. Is this one of your birds @ChicKat or an example you found else where?

I think that I agree with ChicKat that if the hackles match the earlobes then the hackles are too white.

I agree on working on the nice enamel white earlobes. I cull for earlobes that have red leakage or are tinged yellow. I also dislike the shape of the Rees earlobes, so I will be culling some juveniles around the corner for that. I almost wish I hatched out a few more to evaluate. Though I have some good contenders in my young CL group that might stick around.

I do think often backgrounds and lighting can change how these males look in pictures, so we just need to do our best to post the best representation of what we visually see with our own eyes.

Be careful culling birds with yellow earlobes, as they are usually the result of something in the feed. (corn etc).

Walt

Be careful culling birds with yellow earlobes, as they are usually the result of something in the feed. (corn etc).

Walt

Thank You. I will keep an eye on that and pay attention to the feed and ingredients. I usually wait until they are mature to see if they turn white, they usually do. A few birds that had a yellow tinge I did rehome, but for other faults also.

It isn't mine... I rather wish I had that cream!! I have a multitude of colors (on the same chicken!!) LOL - sun makes the neck hackles and the saddle on my 'Flock sire" (all the chickens I have hatched are related to him - father, grand father type of thing. This year maybe he will become a 'great grandfather'-- I think he is homozygous for every thing - (except maybe the S-Locus)

Less than a year old - hackles too light -- wish they didn't look that color but were more butter

18-month -- someone used him as an example of a gold rooster\

The light and the dark during this years molt

Early in 2014 shortly after that year's molt..... he is changing colors a lot......
Oh now he looks scroungey - and has no white sickles -- His tail needs to do a little growing - don't know if he will get another set [ETA white sickles] or not..... Meanwhile the sun is making his hackles brassy....

ETA if you open the last one in a new window....his ankles are purple because I had just despurred him and it bled more than expected -- so his purple argyle socks are blue-kote.

Last edited:
It isn't mine... I rather wish I had that cream!! I have a multitude of colors (on the same chicken!!) LOL - sun makes the neck hackles and the saddle on my 'Flock sire" (all the chickens I have hatched are related to him - father, grand father type of thing. This year maybe he will become a 'great grandfather'-- I think he is homozygous for every thing - (except maybe the S-Locus)

Less than a year old - hackles too light -- wish they didn't look that color but were more butter

18-month -- someone used him as an example of a gold rooster\

The light and the dark during this years molt

Early in 2014 shortly after that year's molt..... he is changing colors a lot......
Oh now he looks scroungey - and has no white sickles -- His tail needs to do a little growing - don't know if he will get another set [ETA white sickles] or not..... Meanwhile the sun is making his hackles brassy....
Thank you for showing how he is aging, by the way, I like him, he is similar to the color trends in my boys. I thought someone else told me the white tail feathers were a DQ, but I know they can come and go.

Thank you for showing how he is aging, by the way, I like him, he is similar to the color trends in my boys. I thought someone else told me the white tail feathers were a DQ, but I know they can come and go.
In some breeds - white would be DQ -- but in this breed it isn't -- here straight from the horses -- I mean the SOP's mouth:

Tail: Main Tail—gray, evenly barred.
Sickle and Coverts—light gray, barred, some white feathers permissible.

He has a beautiful comb
Thanks... I really lucked out with him -- KPenley used him as an example of a 'fly away comb' - in a walk thru that she did - so hopefully that good side shot will be made available shortly. Because of that his crest interferes less, and he has room or crest and comb...and his sons - don't replicate fly away-- and have a better chance of straight comb....but I still get some swirls at the ends....on some --- and straight comb with crest was my first goal.... Sometimes it goes backwards -- but pretty much something I can count on from him.

Comb and crest combo - difficult challenge - but maybe do-able.... (especially if we can select for a tad smaller comb IMO). My Isbars have gorgeous combs......

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom