Discussion of Legbar Standard of Perfection for -Alternative- Legbars - SOP discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you for showing how he is aging, by the way, I like him, he is similar to the color trends in my boys. I thought someone else told me the white tail feathers were a DQ, but I know they can come and go.
Know what? Talk about aging....in some places - they hatch with the intention to have the chicken at a certain age for a show-- because they tend to look best at that age. For females - 6-months old on show day and for males -- to be in the cockerel class probably 11-months and the cock class probably 13 months - because he won't have progressed into decrepitude yet. ;O).

Know what?  Talk about aging....in some places - they hatch with the intention to have the chicken at a certain age for a show-- because they tend to look best at that age.  For females - 6-months old on show day and for males -- to be in the cockerel class probably 11-months and the cock class probably 13 months - because he won't have progressed into decrepitude yet.  ;O).
This is done by many breeders of show chickens.

Walt

To keep the color conversation going. These four hens are all right about 1 year old, they have brown feathers vs. gray and what I think is a dark salmon breast. You can't hurt my feelings, they are chickens, and I promise not to tell them what you say... 2 have large crests, which blend in too well, it is hard to capture with the camera. 2 have very small crests. All but one has a flop to one side comb. The other one has a comb with is just a mess. In this picture they appear just a little darker than they seem in RL. Are they too dark to be considered Cream?

To keep the color conversation going. These four hens are all right about 1 year old, they have brown feathers vs. gray and what I think is a dark salmon breast. You can't hurt my feelings, they are chickens, and I promise not to tell them what you say... 2 have large crests, which blend in too well, it is hard to capture with the camera. 2 have very small crests. All but one has a flop to one side comb. The other one has a comb with is just a mess. In this picture they appear just a little darker than they seem in RL. Are they too dark to be considered Cream?

I'll venture to say that two are not too dark to be used in a cream breeding program, and two might have extra melanization you would have to breed out. But it's difficult to say without a closer shot. From this view I'm not sure if I would say any of them are double for cream...

My choices are vibrant salmon breasts on the females - and tight and neat crests that look like they were just trimmed. I'm looking for small female combs. comb (ETA said crest meant comb) flops on females are fine - I have one that I wonder if her comb obstructs some of her vision.

Looks like you have nice long backs going on there.

colorwise -- the brown probably needs to be toned down in future..

You have some pretty good 'barns' there to work on painting IMO. I also see no black ticking or smudges on your females' salmon. Salmon is an indicator of wild type (e+) so it is a good thing to perpetuate as I see it. Thanks for the photos -- Pretty piece of property -too --such lucky chooks! ;O)

Last edited:
My choices are vibrant salmon breasts on the females - and tight and neat crests that look like they were just trimmed. I'm looking for small female combs. comb (ETA said crest meant comb) flops on females are fine - I have one that I wonder if her comb obstructs some of her vision.

Looks like you have nice long backs going on there.

colorwise -- the brown probably needs to be toned down in future..

You have some pretty good 'barns' there to work on painting IMO. I also see no black ticking or smudges on your females' salmon. Salmon is an indicator of wild type (e+) so it is a good thing to perpetuate as I see it. Thanks for the photos -- Pretty piece of property -too --such lucky chooks! ;O)

I agree, some nice long backs, and yes! what a pretty yard @KendyF =)

Thanks for the feedback, I suddenly find myself not just watching my chickens, but noticing every feather and line, color in the shade and in the sun. Does she always stand like that? I am not sure I really wanted to know my chickens... this well. lol. I have 10 LB hens, the one with the best color is tiny and thin. She looks like a pullet. She has a really cute little crest too. :)

Thanks for the feedback, I suddenly find myself not just watching my chickens, but noticing every feather and line, color in the shade and in the sun. Does she always stand like that? I am not sure I really wanted to know my chickens... this well. lol. I have 10 LB hens, the one with the best color is tiny and thin. She looks like a pullet. She has a really cute little crest too. :)

Cute with good color is how my best foundation hen started out. Happily she keeps producing pullets more than any other hen, and they always have a nice gray & cream crest and usually end up with cream hackles; her rooster is split for cream. She is also tiny but lays a normal size egg and the rooster is a good size; her offspring have been bigger than her and are now as big as my larger CL hens who have all kinds of other "faults".

I have it on good authority that it is not only therapeutic to sit around and watch chickens, but may contribute to a stronger breeding program. Sounds like you are well on your way!

ingrid is nice...and I think that type is far more important and needs a lot of work -- but people can not seem to focus on type because of color. What about Ingrid and you other cockerel designate them as non-cream... I'm still trying to grasp it here...she looks quite cream to my eye.

Also did they both haave crests?

Still wondering what about Ingrid is non-Cream, and does she have a crest....the only think I can see is that her back plumage isn't gray.... is that how you are designating? Oh and is she crestless?

Still wondering what about Ingrid is non-Cream, and does she have a crest....the only think I can see is that her back plumage isn't gray.... is that how you are designating? Oh and is she crestless?
She does have a small crest. In person, she looks gold like my legbar x leghorns. Her hackle color is more rich and not soft/dull like I would consider cream to be. To me-her size and type is almost my ideal. The only things I'd change are a better lower breast, a little bit of a sweep (not leghorn but not as abrupt), and a slightly better crest. I'll try to get a better picture of her soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom