Discussion of Legbar Standard of Perfection for -Alternative- Legbars - SOP discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
She does have a small crest. In person, she looks gold like my legbar x leghorns. Her hackle color is more rich and not soft/dull like I would consider cream to be.
To me-her size and type is almost my ideal. The only things I'd change are a better lower breast, a little bit of a sweep (not leghorn but not as abrupt), and a slightly better crest. I'll try to get a better picture of her soon.

Thanks for your comments on your hen, I would also think her hackles are not cream from the picture.
It seems like cream hackles have more contrast against the body of the hens, whereas in this case the hackle color is more in keeping with the overall tones/color of the body.

She does have a small crest. In person, she looks gold like my legbar x leghorns. Her hackle color is more rich and not soft/dull like I would consider cream to be.
To me-her size and type is almost my ideal. The only things I'd change are a better lower breast, a little bit of a sweep (not leghorn but not as abrupt), and a slightly better crest. I'll try to get a better picture of her soon.
Thanks for the clarification!

I also like the length of her back.

Here are some quotes from Tim Adkerson from May of 2013 - Tim is another person who was both brilliant and helpful to us as we learned about the breed:

tadkerson
May 2, 2013 at 2:46 pm
The APA standard can be written to accommodate some variation with a preferred standard. It all depends on the wording. This would be a realistic way of writing a standard- a rigid difficult to obtain standard usually causes problems and in the end will hinder the appeal of the breed to breeders. No one wants to raise hundreds of birds just to use 2 in a poultry show.

Your group should get together and decide on a standard and see if the standard can be reached. If not change the standard to reflect reality and not a fictitious standard.

Keep up the good work.

Tim

tadkerson

May 2, 2013 at 2:56 pm
I forgot to add- your group could have a non sanctioned poultry show to look at the variation that is found in the birds. This way everybody can look at each others birds. Rent some space ( county fair grounds) and have a judge come in and look at the birds. Probably a judge somewhere in your group. Every body could pay a fee to enter the show and that would pay the rent. Get some hatcheries that sell cream legbars to pay to advertise (hang a sign) at the show. 4H could help and let them run a concession stand to make money. Someone in your group would know how to run a show.

Tim

Here are some quotes from Tim Adkerson from May of 2013 - Tim is another person who was both brilliant and helpful to us as we learned about the breed:

tadkerson
May 2, 2013 at 2:46 pm

The APA standard can be written to accommodate some variation with a preferred standard. It all depends on the wording. This would be a realistic way of writing a standard- a rigid difficult to obtain standard usually causes problems and in the end will hinder the appeal of the breed to breeders. No one wants to raise hundreds of birds just to use 2 in a poultry show.

Your group should get together and decide on a standard and see if the standard can be reached. If not change the standard to reflect reality and not a fictitious standard.

Keep up the good work.

Tim
tadkerson

May 2, 2013 at 2:56 pm
I forgot to add- your group could have a non sanctioned poultry show to look at the variation that is found in the birds. This way everybody can look at each others birds. Rent some space ( county fair grounds) and have a judge come in and look at the birds. Probably a judge somewhere in your group. Every body could pay a fee to enter the show and that would pay the rent. Get some hatcheries that sell cream legbars to pay to advertise (hang a sign) at the show. 4H could help and let them run a concession stand to make money. Someone in your group would know how to run a show.

Tim

I vote we have the show in Montana! Ha ha!

I vote we have the show in Montana! Ha ha!
That would be sooo cool! What a great time. Of course I think everyone would have to send hatching eggs to Montana and then someone would need to grow out all the birds to show age. do they have a university up there with a good ag program.?? It would sure be fun to see a lot of CLs in one place ......

That would be sooo cool! What a great time. Of course I think everyone would have to send hatching eggs to Montana and then someone would need to grow out all the birds to show age. do they have a university up there with a good ag program.?? It would sure be fun to see a lot of CLs in one place ......
I agree. I think it would be wonderful and so educational to see all the different variations of CL out there. A Cream Legbar only show would be great. If it were possible a show like that could really open up some eyes and help people see the reality of what we have, and to see what they all have in common and some things that they dont. As long as people stayed open minded when observing all the other CL something like this could really help CL owners/breeders come together with an understanding of our birds and the proposed SOP.

All kidding aside I think it would be great if something like that could be arranged. I am not very good at noticing where people live but perhaps a semi convenient location could be decided on.

I would be happy to volunteer some time to help coordinate an event like this. I have never entered or organized a show but I might make a good long distance errand runner.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom