Dislocated chicken leg/hip

msrayna

Hatching
Jan 16, 2016
vimeo_logo.png

Hi,
My neighbors goose attacked one of her chickens. They were home, heard commotion and found the goose on top of the chickens back. When they picked her up, a buff orpington, her left leg just dangled.

We think her leg is dislocated not broken, no signs of any other injuries. She is in no pain, alert, friendly and if you put her down, once she steadies herself, she tries to hop around to be with the others. While holding her, the leg just dangles, you can swing it side to side and every direction and she is not phased at all. Any idea what can be done to help her.

We can post more pics if needed of her on the ground or whatever may help.

Thank you and your feedback is much appreciated.

Last edited:
First, eat the goose at christmas. Either sell it to someone who doesn't have chickens, or eat it.

Second, I wouldn't move her leg around a whole bunch. It could make any current damage worse. Does it feel like the bone is shattered near the joint? Can you tell whether or not the joint is out of socket? The weirdest thing is that she isn't flinching at all! It makes it harder to guess what happened.
When I compare a picture of a chicken's skeletal system with the video, it looks like her shank got dislocated from her actual leg. Maybe the cartilage got stretched out to much. Her shank is definitly not connected to the rest of her anymore. Does she have any injuries on her foot? Maybe the stupid goose grabbed her leg and yanked. Again, stupid goose
somad.gif

Keep us posted on what happens!

I isolated my chicken after she injured her leg jumping off a 8 foot high run. Leg was splayed out at a angle. Let her rest for a week in a cage. Shes now with the flock, doing well, except limping some. Hope this helps.

PeepersMama,

:) They could not eat the goose but immediately relocated the geese to a friends home with a nice pond.

Trust me, we were amazed as well that she has NO pain. I came over right after it happened and she was her normal sweet self and you can see in the video not even a flinch. We only moved the leg so I could post the video, hard to explain the situation. The goose was found on top of her, maybe the weight was too much for her.

We both examined her from the foot to where the leg meets the body and did not feel anything out of the ordinary but really don't know what to feel for. She never cried or flinched. We do not believe she has any feeling in the leg or foot because when you touch her foot she does not react. We touched her good foot and she pulled it back a bit as they do.

Do you mind sending the skeletal diagram you mentioned or a link to it, we can take another look at her tomorrow morning.

Last edited:
The pic of the chicken skeleton I looked at was in my Chicken Health Handbook. If you don't have a copy it is the best book you can get for chicken diseases/health questions. It was written by Gail Damerow, who is a chicken expert
love.gif
I want her job so bad.
Here is the most clean-cut pic I could find on google. The words are complicated and very exact, but you can see them! The metatarsus and the tibia are the shank and "actual leg" that I refered to in my last post.

Thank you. It prints perfect
smile.png
I will take it to my neighbor and we will see if we can figure it out. She is still doing fine, seam to have no pain.

Back
Top Bottom