Distended belly, not egg bound - please help!

Pics

kmb383

Chirping
Mar 22, 2016
Upstate New York
Daisy is a 2 year old Polish. She has been symptom-free until today. Yesterday, she was free-ranging normally and went to bed on the roost with her sisters + their roo. This morning, I let them out of the coop and, as always, everyone came running, including Daisy. I didn't notice anything wrong with her in the morning. A couple hours later, I found her sitting and not active like she usually is. I've brought her in the house and placed her in the sick chick cage. She drank a little water at first but has not taken anything since. Her lower abdomen is distended. I gently inserted a lubed finger and did not feel any bound eggs in her. She has yellowish diarrhea near her vent. Any ideas? She is a treasured pet and I would really appreciate any advice. Unfortunately, there are no chicken vets or any vets with avian experience in my area.

It is called 'balloon belly' If you feel around the craw upper area of the hen it will feel a bit like a water balloon. I don't know a cure for that off hand. Their food builds and builds until there is a rupture. I had to put down a beautifully colored FBCM hen because of that. It was sad, she had beautiful coloring for the breed. However, I knew she would no longer lay an egg and just suffer.

Daisy is a 2 year old Polish. She has been symptom-free until today. Yesterday, she was free-ranging normally and went to bed on the roost with her sisters + their roo. This morning, I let them out of the coop and, as always, everyone came running, including Daisy. I didn't notice anything wrong with her in the morning. A couple hours later, I found her sitting and not active like she usually is. I've brought her in the house and placed her in the sick chick cage. She drank a little water at first but has not taken anything since. Her lower abdomen is distended. I gently inserted a lubed finger and did not feel any bound eggs in her. She has yellowish diarrhea near her vent. Any ideas? She is a treasured pet and I would really appreciate any advice. Unfortunately, there are no chicken vets or any vets with avian experience in my area.

I have what sounds like a very similar situation in a one y/o "red star", she is kind of dragging her abdomen but will eat and drink if I hold her, and otherwise does not seem in pain, but how do I know? I have read the euthanasia posts "just in case" but hate to face this in this trusting pet. I will follow your posts and the replies hoping for a better answer to her problem.

It is called 'balloon belly' If you feel around the craw upper area of the hen it will feel a bit like a water balloon. I don't know a cure for that off hand. Their food builds and builds until there is a rupture. I had to put down a beautifully colored FBCM hen because of that. It was sad, she had beautiful coloring for the breed. However, I knew she would no longer lay an egg and just suffer.
Thank you! It may be strange but in my previous post I said I fed her but did not say I mixed in a mild laxative in the soft food she was able to eat. I will post if this seems to be helpful to her.

Do you think I should give her a laxative? What kind and how much? The idea of dehydration concerns me since she hasn't drank anything recently and has diarrhea. Diagnosing + treating chickens is so difficult!

I'm not sure what could be wrong with your hen.

But she needs water.Take water in a syringe and dribble it on her beak.
I really hope this helps.
Best of luck!

Just researched balloon belly/internal laying. What causes this? Is there anyway to stop it? Most of the posts I read said you can drain the belly regularly to prolong the lifespan, but they will die of it eventually.

Do you think I should give her a laxative? What kind and how much? The idea of dehydration concerns me since she hasn't drank anything recently and has diarrhea. Diagnosing + treating chickens is so difficult!

A laxative has nothing to do with the craw where the defect develops, and may cause more distress.

Yes but when Henrietta comes to me to be picked up and petted and, seemingly out of trust, does not fight when I "examine" her, It all seems worth it. The harder if I have to put her down if this continues.

Back
Top Bottom