Dixie Chicks

Mareks, if I currently have a flock that is vaccinated, does that mean they carry it? And if I'm getting chicks that are not vaccinated will I have problems?

Lol!! My jersey giant pullets and 2 silkies and 2 velveteen lops all just having fun run time. The chickens were were scared of the bunnies and still have a hard time when the bunnies do their happy dance. But they are adjusting very well.

ok so some flocks can develope a imunnity to mareks?? so how does that work out you have some contaminated that survive some tht arent?

If one chicken is exposed to Marek's on your property, they all are. And your coop , your dirt, your trees etc. Culling your flock will not make any difference. If some in the flock are over a year old, they may have some resistance to getting Marek's. Most of my older chickens never got it.

You can buy a vaccinated chick, expose him to a Marek's exposed bird, the vaccinated chick will now be exposed and one may never know. The vaccine only protects against the Tumors.

I don't think there is immunity to Marek's. Just resistance. The vaccine gives a fake "safe" exposure so the chick's immune system is signaled to grow antibodies. And has enough before exposure to the real thing

Well, got a call from SandHill, I'm at work wife talked to them. Chicks will be here Thursday morning. Kind of. The ones I wanted the most, the white j giants, ordered the max 10, will be getting 12. No langshans, refund on them. I was kinda looking forward to them but they were not the reason I ordered from SH. I asked the wife what they said they would be filling the box with, she said they said just the twelve. I guarantee I get 'packing peanuts'. Their website states they only ship lots of 25. This could be interesting, they have many strange breeds...Maybe they will just send the 12, but I doubt it.
Come on Thursday! Hurry up and get here!

Beer Can, Rodriguez Poultry (?) has some beautiful Langshans. She's a member here.

Last edited:
Quote:
Vaccinating does Not cause them to be exposed or carry Marek's. Vaccinating is a "fake" exposure to get antibodies to grow. But if a vaccinated chick gets exposed, they can give it to others. The vaccine just protects against the tumors.

Bella, you did a good thing. My biggest concern here is to not have My chickens die so I vaccinate. My next concern is to not knowingly spread it. 3rd concern is to keep up to date on the facts (not internet facts, but actual research facts), and do the best I can to be a source of correct information, prevention, etc, and have cohorts that do the same.

Last edited:
Mareks, if I currently have a flock that is vaccinated, does that mean they carry it? And if I'm getting chicks that are not vaccinated will I have problems?

No. Vaccinating does not give anyone Marek's. Vaccinated and unvaccinated chickens can carry and pass it on. But they won't get it from the vaccine.

I would vaccinate any chick I get (hatcheries charge like 25 cents). Let's say you paid for some real rare birds. You bring them home and 6-8 weeks later, they look like they broke their leg and waste away and die. Could be that your own flock is exposed already and you never had any reason to think you had Marek's. But those chicks could have cost you $10.00 a piece. So protect your own chickens.

Back
Top Bottom