Dixie Chicks

Some Hatcheries vaccinate and some Hatcheries do not vaccinate.

Talk with your ag people In YOUR County and YOUR state. Vaccinated or not they can still get the disease they were vaccinated for!

This MAY sound stupid BUT Personally, I dont want to eat their vaccines. I am trying to go chemical free as possible so why would I vaccine a chicken I might eat? I am also trying to go off the grid.

The larger Hatcheries vaccinate before the eggs are hatched by piercing needle vacine into the top of egg shell. Those eggs when hatched may be destined for broilers.

All chickens no matter what they have been vaccinated for can get a cold. This is "pneumonia " weather for chickens.

It gets down into the 50's here. And upwards into the 80's during the day where I am. We can be having a beautiful sunny warm day in the 80's and within minutes in comes a cold rain storm, temps drop 20 degrees or more easily durning the day and within minutes we are shivering ad running. It comes over the mountain ridge and hits us in the hollow.

Some of these chickens dont have sense enough to come in out of the rain. If they even decide to come in from the woods or creek during the night for a safe lock up. It all depends how late in the day the storm would come through.

I have sold off or given away and scaled down to a smaller and more manageable pack that does not free range currently for one reason. We do have the barn yard mix of my sons that still free range and then he has several runs of Amerucana and ducks and pheasants.

I however nolonger have over a dozen different Breeds and colors of a Breed. I am down to just the TWO colors of Orpingtons and Calico Babydolls. I do however have too many calico cochin babydolls and need to rehome some. I have only one Ohiki Roo, A living doll. He no longer has a woman and has gone crazy on the last of the Bresse. He will not stay off of them. He climbs up on and rides them one after another all day long. There are now only three girls and two boys in that run and they are all young. They will be glad to see him go. I will not because it took me along time of breeding to get him.

Really need to rehome more Bresse. Two pairs. Thought my friend was going to take a several off my hands but she has pointed out how much work it is to spatchcock a chicken. She would rather buy chicken meat in a store I guess. I can understand. She does have chickens for fresh eggs.

If anyone knows someone that might want a pair or two pairs of Bresse, I have two more pairs to give away. I think these are 2 -3 months. I said this week to someone that they were 3 1/2 months but as I thought it over more closely, they are 2-3 months of age. They were never given artifical heat. Never vaccinated. And were Thursday, free ranging with the barn yard mix as they will everyday til adopted out. If anyone knows someone that would want several Calico Babydoll Cochin Bantams. PLEASE, Send them my way. These odd ones are houses in hutches and pens within chainlink runs that are open during the day. They free range. We keep locked up several runs for my son and we keep locked up several runs for Me. Other than that those barn yard mixes are out and about and I will be glad when I get certian ones rehomed.
Also, If you know someone wanting White Bresse or Calico Babydolls let me know.

Last edited:
So sorry to hear this. Is it possible they may not have known? I dont want to think ill of anyone. It is the kind of weather that they can easily pick up a summer cold.
I may have to take a sweet roo I plan to give away to the vets office. Over a month ago the Blue Laced Red "May" have "accidentally" hurt him. I even caught the big roo named The Purple Monster sitting on him. i have also caught him pecking at the baby roo before I even knew it was a roo and thought he was a she. Such a sweet thing. I had to take the sweetie out of the run completely and put him in with the Calico Babydolls.

Know anyone that wants a little roo calico Babydoll?

May I ask what county and was it Blue Laced Red Wyandottes? I was going to give them a try to help along my blue Laced red Oroingtons but after I heard that comb eas dominant I decided not to.

Last edited:
So I've spent my morning moving everyone around so I could get these dang phoenix chick's out of my house. Thankfully that's done.

Silkie and ohiki chick's are fine with their 2 new mamas.

Snowy calls are somehow back to laying. I've never had them molt and start laying again. Not complaining though.

Back
Top Bottom