Thank you thank you thank you Tor and Jher77, this helps ALOT!! I feel like I can still salvage this and if I upgrade it in the future I could re-use some parts for a more permanent/solid incubator. Except the light fixture, I would want ceramic... So I had the white and the black wires switched and use the black wire instead of green wire out of #6.

I'll read up on the links and some more about wiring while I wait on that to get here. I'm all for being self sufficient it's just that I've shied away from electricity considering how deadly it can be. It's part of my "things that can go boom" phobia. Though I have dabble, just a little bit.

I wired the power cable onto the new stove when we got it.. I pretty much figured that I should match the wires to the color red to red green to green. But my MIL you should have heard her, was very upset, wanted me to call an electrician.... 🤷‍♀️
Get yourself a basic book electricity and wiring, and safety.. You can always use it as a reference. Then you can understand
black is hot
white neutral/ground
green is grounding
why they are called the way they are and purpose.
wire size and amperage, 120 volt vs 220 volt, there is alot more, the basics go along way.
ANd of course safety, safety cant stress that word enough.
you get some extra money get your self a basic multi purpose testor
I would bet there is plenty of videos on youtube on how to use a multimeter.
good luck

I know some budget incubators are rubbish but I have finally something I am happy with by buying a crap budget incubator and making my own custom modifications to make it decent.

I think Segi is annoyed he's spent as much as an incubator would cost (I am guessing as all the parts needed add up) and it doesn't work properly yet but to me the most crucial aspect is it has no egg turner.

If you can live without an egg turner (saves so much time turning 5 times a day for 3 weeks) then all that is needed is an Inkbird, they are not expensive and can be used for all sorts from heating a terrarium to heating a brooder. Throwing this incubator away now would be a far bigger waste than getting an Inkbird which can be repurposed for multiple future situations.

Here's a reference to go by, showing you the only incubator I will ever use and made by myself and I have tested variable placement of light, fan for temperature and humidity balance, I won't ever buy a incubator. And best part is if something fails I know how to fix it.
20210311_141347.jpg

20210311_141253.jpg

20210311_141220.jpg

20210311_141120.jpg

20210311_141107.jpg

Attachments

• 20210311_141050.jpg
    20210311_141050.jpg
    608.9 KB · Views: 4
I know some budget incubators are rubbish but I have finally something I am happy with by buying a crap budget incubator and making my own custom modifications to make it decent.

I think Segi is annoyed he's spent as much as an incubator would cost (I am guessing as all the parts needed add up) and it doesn't work properly yet but to me the most crucial aspect is it has no egg turner.

If you can live without an egg turner (saves so much time turning 5 times a day for 3 weeks) then all that is needed is an Inkbird, they are not expensive and can be used for all sorts from heating a terrarium to heating a brooder. Throwing this incubator away now would be a far bigger waste than getting an Inkbird which can be repurposed for multiple future situations.
Yes you pretty much nailed it. I'm a her just thought I'd clarify lol. My SO is a man just to clarify that too lol but I guess you could say there is some unintentional "role reversal" in this family. He's the cook. I change the oil on the car and scare off the scary things or squish them. *blush* The cost of a still air incubator would be $50, the egg turner and forced air would be... $140 or $100 for a fairly small kebbonix. Or pay like $50-70 for no-name brand models with lots of bad reviews for things going bad on them or not working right. And at the time when I bought all the parts the local stores were sold out of incubators (perhaps still are).

An egg turner is still on the table but I was going to tackle one issue at a time, get the temp and humidity right, then perhaps an egg turner with a synchronous turntable / hovabator replacement motor. But time is slipping away and I will probably manually turn the first batch of eggs (planning on 6). I also have several old computer tower fans and a variety of old power cords, computer tower/laptop etc it was just easier to go with the desktop fan for now cause of the DC difference...

Jherr77 Pretty sure I can find that book or something very close to it at a local used book store. They have pretty extensive how-to sections. I may eventually figure out how to minimize the use of extra power cords! lol

Here's a reference to go by, showing you the only incubator I will ever use and made by myself and I have tested variable placement of light, fan for temperature and humidity balance, I won't ever buy a incubator. And best part is if something fails I know how to fix it.
View attachment 2565469
View attachment 2565470
View attachment 2565471
View attachment 2565472
View attachment 2565473
I LOVE this! I'm actually using tin foil to reflect heat away and shelf liner to cover the wire for eggs, but I may use cartons with a tilt so I don't have the top open for long. If I upgraded to something like this, what do you think of a door on the front vs on the top since heat rises?

I LOVE this! I'm actually using tin foil to reflect heat away and shelf liner to cover the wire for eggs, but I may use cartons with a tilt so I don't have the top open for long. If I upgraded to something like this, what do you think of a door on the front vs on the top since heat rises?
That's actually makes total sense if you're remodeling the egg base to have the door on the side.

View attachment 2565469
View attachment 2565470
View attachment 2565471
View attachment 2565472
View attachment 2565473
I made retangular cuts slightly bigger in the cloth wire, when the egg is placed on there it can be tilted 45 degrees during incubation.

I picked up these books for $8 not too bad I think.. the fundamentals one has a lot of math 😖 very textbooky but tons of info and the time life one is more like "wiring for dummies and how not to get hurt" with lots of pictures lol

1615680424628.png

1615680474474.png

There yah go and some of the math is not hard. If you decide to get involved bigger project
this triangle does alot. I am sure its in your book, very simple to use.
If you due start getting more involved and get a multimeter for testing. Make sure you know the ratings on your multimeter and what it can handle how to use it properly before you do alot of testing.
Good Luck Dont get hurt.

1615690282571.png

Back
Top Bottom