diy oyster shell

droopy

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 18, 2010
was wondering if anyones tried this. i live right on the coast of maine and have access to as many oyster shells as i need since a cousin and a friend both work in local oyster bar. can i just take fresh shells and smash them up with a 12" hand tamper? i will probably give it a try since it seems crazy to spend 7 bucks on a little 5 pound bag when with just a small bit of work i've got a free never ending supply. do i have to worry abut any sharp edges or anything like that?

ty

you could just dry out their egg shells when your done with the egg (in oven for about 20 min) and crush those. Mine prefer the egg shells to the oyster shells

I don't see why not, as long as you clean the shells before feeding them, just to be safe. I use egg shells for my birds, I save them up in a metal bowl until I am baking something, then I pop them in the oven alongside to dry them out, then smash them up and mix them in the hens' feed.

Go for it. It's the same sort of shells. Giving them toasted egg shells will work too, just keep in mind that it takes more calcium than is found in one shell to form a shell as they can't adsorb it all so a complete layer or oyster shell in addition can often help.

thank you. they are getting layer pellets and an additional can with oyster shell and have had all hard shells so far just trying to cut a bit of costs here and there whenever i can

ty

Back
Top Bottom