Do any breeders here ship pigeons overseas to australia?

RareFeathers

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jul 24, 2010
Tamworth, NSW
i got my first pigeons from a poultry auction, but the person who brought them there was from out of town. i've had my pigeons for a few months, and ive been really wanting to expand my flock, but the cloest breeders i know of are 6 hours away. so i was wondering if anyone on BYC ships overseas.

Thanks
smile.png

James

It will cost a bit more than shipping to another part a your country. If your are intrestid, i could ship a pair to you. What is your adress?
I can call my post office and get a price on shipping and box.

Thanks
smile.png

That requires exporting and importing, which can be quite expensive. Does Australia require quarantining? Here in the US, birds may be in quarantine for up to 2 months before getting to come home.

If you export through Frank McLaughlin, it will probably be much easier. But of course you'd have to ship the birds to him for him to ship them to Australia. I don't know if he only does European countries or not.
$45 per bird to export.

http://www.mclaughlinlofts.com/Importing-Exporting.html

Last edited:
:lol:Well, i've done a little more digging ino it, and, as it turns out, the birds have to be vaccinated against these diseases:
Avian influenza
Newcastle disease
Paramyxovirus type 1 (pigeon) infection
Paramyxovirus type 2 and 3 infection
Equine viral encephalomyelitis
Fowl typhoid (Salmonella Gallinarum)
Pullorum disease (Salmonella Pullorum)
Salmonella Enteritidis infection
Ornithobacterium rhinotracheale infection
Infectious bursal disease
Pigeon herpesvirus encephalomyelitis
West Nile virus

from what i can tell, you also have to get a permit saying your pigeons are captive bred, and another saying you're allowed to export them, then, they have to spend 35 days in quarantine at a holding facility in the US, then, another 55 days in suatralia. the condition is that they can show NO signs of sickness, and if they do, Guess what? the time is allllllll restarted, and they have to do the whole 55 days again, also, i'll be the one paying for it's boarding at the facility in Aus. at the cost of $450 for the "Daily rate for entire consignment"
vet fees are $40 per bird per 15mins, and document clearence is $40, and if there's anything that means they need to look more into it, they charge an additional $40 per 15 minutes they spend doing it!

Thanks for your help, but now, i'd better just forget about it, it's just not worth the troube!

Back
Top Bottom