Do any egg sellers grade their eggs for selling to stores, etc.

Contray,

Just so happens that when a few restaurants started purchasing from me at farmers markets that was they number they were taking and I based off of that. Plus, there are a few retail stores around here that purchase and re-sell at our retail rate. So I try to work with them as well.

Contray,

Just so happens that when a few restaurants started purchasing from me at farmers markets that was they number they were taking and I based off of that. Plus, there are a few retail stores around here that purchase and re-sell at our retail rate. So I try to work with them as well.

I don't know how you are packaging the eggs, but for the restaurants I use the plastic, reusable egg trays sold in a regular egg box of 15 dozen. One restaurant likes to keep a case of eggs in the walk-in cooler, and a working case in an under-the-counter refrigerator next to the grill. My agreement is that they can be supplied with eggs from leghorn chickens (white eggs), and there seems to be no argument over the egg color. I sell at $1.50 per dozen plus delivery. It's marginal, obviously.

For retail, I get between $2.00 and $2.80 per dozen from the stores, which are then sold between $2.50 and $3.49 per dozen respectively.

I'm fortunate that we live in a farming community where dairy barns and hay/grain fields still exist in town, and there is still a thriving local feedmill. Most of the community has seen me moving my mobile hen houses through the center of town going from one field to the next. People like to talk, and they like my eggs and farming methods, so it is all good advertisement.

Last edited:
It sounds like alot of you can sell retail without formal grading. Where I am, they say anything besides off the farm or farmers markets, i.e. retail, must be graded, and that includes restaurants. Reluctantly, I must agree that any restaurant customer deserves the right to know the eggs they are eating are not USDA graded. Are you guys skirting the rules? Just wondering.

It sounds like alot of you can sell retail without formal grading. Where I am, they say anything besides off the farm or farmers markets, i.e. retail, must be graded, and that includes restaurants. Reluctantly, I must agree that any restaurant customer deserves the right to know the eggs they are eating are not USDA graded. Are you guys skirting the rules? Just wondering.
State rules override USDA. I'm under MDA (Michigan).

Last edited:
Contrary,
Do you candle your eggs? If so, what type of candler do you use?

Does anyone use one of those high intensity commercial candlers? It looks like a blue box. Sells for about $400

Back
Top Bottom