Do any of you know any yummy and nutritious snacks to feed my chickens that they will go crazy about

Funny thing is, sometimes you introduce something new into the flock...and they ignore it...until one is brave enough to take a bite...then they all act as though that was their favorite dish. Seen it with yogurt....what the heck is this mess...until one took a bite and said yahoo

Yes, I am still trying to convince ours that cantalope is delicious. Unfortunately there was still a slice in their pen today completely untouched. They are probably looking at it and saying "That doesn't look like whole wheat bread!"

My chickens favorite snack.....<looking over shoulder for chicken police>......is hard boiled eggs. If I have older eggs that I know are still good but a little older than I like to sell they get boiled, cooled and chopped up shell and all! They love it! Rib bones ( with the pig detached). Spaghetti - bring a lawn chair, a soda, and make a trip to the potty before you go out to watch them. Kale. Sunflower seeds. Any kind of fruit. In summer, frozen vegetables and watermelon. In winter, fermented pumpkins....you know the ones that have been out since Halloween and have frozen and thawed a time or two until they look like they melted.

Oh and that last piece of ham that I made a sammich out of - without fail they'll take that right out of my hand if they see me with it. <sigh> Stoopid chickens!

Hi all, its me again. Just want some info if somebody can assist me... I am feeding my hens layer mix and corn ones a day.. My question... Are there any other organic feed i can use in the place of the layer feed, for my hens...?

Hah
My chickens favorite snack...........is hard boiled eggs. If I have older eggs that I know are still good but a little older than I like to sell they get boiled, cooled and chopped up shell and all! They love it! Rib bones ( with the pig detached). Spaghetti - bring a lawn chair, a soda, and make a trip to the potty before you go out to watch them. Kale. Sunflower seeds. Any kind of fruit. In summer, frozen vegetables and watermelon. In winter, fermented pumpkins....you know the ones that have been out since Halloween and have frozen and thawed a time or two until they look like they melted. Oh and that last piece of ham that I made a sammich out of - without fail they'll take that right out of my hand if they see me with it. Stoopid chickens!
Haha this made me laugh! My chickens are very interested in anything I may be eating... Or holding... Or even inspecting. They are rude, greedy little things but I love them!

I gotta second the rude part. I was crouched in the pen today doing some clean up when suddenly I got my backside pinched by one of the roosters.

Guess he figured out I entered his domain with empty hands.

Today our flock had its first corn on the cob. If they had hands I'm sure they would have applauded.

My chickens basically ate anything. Each bird seemed to have her own favourite food - notable examples being Bo and salami, Bo and bananas ... Dandelion and yogurt...

My chickens like:

Wild strawberries - you know the kind that are tiny, mostly seeds, and taste like disappointment? Chicks go nuts for em. It's hilarious if you hold one just out of reach and watch to see who jumps highest and nabs it first. On a slightly sweeter note, the rooster adores wild strawberries, but he will drop his and give it to the hens. He's such a schmoozer.

Salad leftovers - especially carrot peelings, spinach, green pepper seeds...

Melon rinds - watermelon, canteloupe, whatever. The chickens don't care what you call it, they call it "Give it to me NOW!"

Mealworms - get these out and even the chicken that hates to be cuddled will climb right up into my lap for a nibble.

I've given them squash innards before, that was also a big hit.

Meal worms .. meal worms and meal worms! My gals know what the meal worm container looks like and would probably follow anyone anywhere if they were carrying a blue icecream carton
wink.png

Lol at the noisy neighbour being too stringy Oliver Douglas!
lau.gif

Watermelon is a definite favourite.
Mine will not touch grapes, bananas or blueberries.
Mashed boiled eggs (shell included).
Scrambled eggs.
Sardines and Tuna.
Cheese (occasional).
Corn on the cob is apparently a ‘Chicken Trap!’ but corn kernels are delicious!
Greek yoghurt.
Chicken (yep, I know!)
Beef.
Lamb.

I cannot remember the last time I sat outside to have my lunch and did not have to share it
roll.png

Now, if I am going to eat outside and it is not something they can share, I have to ensure that I take them something they can eat or I will never hear the end of it!

Meal worms .. meal worms and meal worms! My gals know what the meal worm container looks like and would probably follow anyone anywhere if they were carrying a blue icecream carton
wink.png

Lol at the noisy neighbour being too stringy Oliver Douglas!
lau.gif

Watermelon is a definite favourite.
Mine will not touch grapes, bananas or blueberries.
Mashed boiled eggs (shell included).
Scrambled eggs.
Sardines and Tuna.
Cheese (occasional).
Corn on the cob is apparently a ‘Chicken Trap!’ but corn kernels are delicious!
Greek yoghurt.
Chicken (yep, I know!)
Beef.
Lamb.

I cannot remember the last time I sat outside to have my lunch and did not have to share it
roll.png

Now, if I am going to eat outside and it is not something they can share, I have to ensure that I take them something they can eat or I will never hear the end of it!

thank you soooooooo much hahaha Hopefully your chickens don't see me with a blue ice cream carton when I go on a trip to Australia
lau.gif
hide.gif

Question off topic, what kinds of chickens do you have
smile.png
Which ones do you prefer in terms of beauty and egg production?

Eggs? Of what do you speak?

The most eggs I have seen around here at one time are the fertile ones I purchased to put under a broody!
lau.gif

I have a bantam Langshan just over 2 years old.
A bantam Cochin (or Pekin Cochin, or Pekin, depending on from where you hail) also just over 2 years old.
A Frizzle bantam Cochin, 17 months old.
A buff bantam Cochin, 15 months old and
2 x Silkie X’s (one of which is Frizzled), 10 weeks old.

All my girls are beautiful!
wink.png

They have great chickenalities, they are friendly, fun, total entertainment and my babies.

Luckily I am not in this for the eggs and any eggs we do get are a bonus. Until Dusty broke the drought a week or so ago; due to broodiness and moulting, we were on about 43 days without any eggs.

My little flock ……….

Back
Top Bottom