Do baby debeaked chick's lick?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
Perhaps you should re-word your post, as it reads that way. Then someone might tell you what you want to hear, rather than doing their best to give you helpful factors to consider.

Before I get judged on debeaking let me say I posted here this spring I had pullets pecking each other to the point where they had no feathers from under their wings back to their tails. Maybe two or three feathers left on their tails. I joined then and took tons of advise and answered alot of questions as well as spending hundreds of dollars trying to remedy the situation. I have two small children who loved them very much, but I was a newbie and didn't understand what was happening until it was too late. My run is large enough 10' x 20' my coop is 8' X 12' the door is always left open to the run and it is cleaner than any chicken coop or run I have ever seen. I have seen a bunch since this all began, I sterilize every week people close to me think I am crazy. I TRIED EVERYTHING...So maybe debeaking was the wrong idea but I was told that to be sure it doesn't start while they are young this was the route I had to take. We can't afford cannibalism again, or my children's faces as they died one by one.....So any ideas?​

It's not fair to scold someone for debeaking thier babies when it had to be done. I'm sure the chickens are much happier missing the end of thier beaks then being slowly torn apart by the rest of the flock.
Yes chickens can lick
tongue.png
And don't be hard on yourself about the debeaking thing. What's done is done. And if it was necessary, then you probably saved your girls a lot of pain.

Thank-you "IloveTravis" for understanding I was only doing what I thought was right, but I guess not. I was told it was like trimming a fingernail, I know now I was wrong. I researched everything else but that until now. I guess maybe the trauma would cause her to lick. Thanks again it's good to see there is still people who want to help others left on this site.

Quote:
Here's what I found on debeaking. Doesnt sound like she saved any of the birds any pain. Perhaps pjbarb should have done her research first as it took me less than 30 seconds to google and click on the link.

"Debeaking ("beak trimming") has been scientifically demonstrated to cause severe pain in the sensitive beak of a bird and lifelong behavioral impairment. Between the horn and bone of the beak is a thin layer of highly sensitive soft tissue. The hot blade used in debeaking cuts through this complex horn, bone, and sensitive tissue causing severe pain and the formation of tumors in the healed beak stump. Behavioral studies show that debeaked chickens are unable to eat, drink, and preen properly, and that they exhibit behavioral disorders associated with chronic pain and depression. "

WisconsinChick, at this point the OP knows that it's not completely painless to debeak. Just let it go! Don't come to this thread anymore if all you do is bash!
Everyone has to learn at some point and unfortunately, sometimes we learn by our mistakes. I'm sure you weren't born with your encompassing chicken knowledge. So give pjbarb a rest, alright? Sheesh....

Pjbarb, I'm sorry you are going through this again! I read your whole
wink.png
post, so I can see that it wasn't over crowdedness that made your first flock peck. I agree that that has to be caused by something. Unfortunately I can't help.
sad.png
I just wanted to wish you the best with your little chicks! Maybe, if the one that's still pecking now doesn't quit soon, you might just have to find it a new home. Are the others all peaceful?

What breeds did you have together before? How many roos to hens ratio was it? I know my nephews white leghorns (and also thechickcrew's) were literally pecking each other to death. My nephew lost several until he changed the surroundings. It could be the breed, it could be the surroundings, or it could be a combination of both together. Make sure these new ones have plenty to scratch for in the run and maybe even add a treat basket like the one on the treat page here on BYC and a dusting hole too. Debeaking does hurt and I myself would never take that route but like ILoveTravis stated, what done is done. Sometimes we do learn the hard way. I've been there done that! I learned that all chickens, even little chicks, should be quarantined BEFORE adding them to your flock. That was a very hard lesson learned and unfortunately I am still suffering the consequences from it. I saw that someone on here posted that the chicks beaks might grow back, so at least it might fix itself.
smile.png

Thank-you for your support, the other little chicks are peaceful. I gave them some grass and little things to peck at and they seem content. My children begged me to let the isolated one back in with the rest, they don't want it alone. As of this morning it seemed to not be as aggressive, may be I am just being paranoid that the pecking will start again. I explained to the kids that if she continues we might have to find her a new home.
sad.png

We had a beautiful rooster but it began pecking the children and the neighbors started to complain. We gave it away to another family, then it was down to just the hens. There were 5 white leghorns, and 5 rhode island reds. I often wondered if getting rid of the rooster had something to do with it, but in reading other posts I didn't think I needed one. What do you think? Because now I don't have a roo either, just hens I was hoping that if they don't have one from the start maybe that might help? Where do I find the treat basket?
Thanks for your time.
smile.png

I've seen those little treat baskets in the small pet section at Petsmart. Did you look at the treat chart to see what I was talking about? It might also help to give them an hour or two of free ranging in time in the evening if that is possible. Mine love to free range! If that's not possible, then you will just have to suffice with what you can do. I would keep the "licking" chick in with the others. Don't keep it seperated. My chicks have always seemed to peck at each others faces and toes. That's normal chick behavior. If it really bothers you that much, then install a red or yellow light bulb in the heat lamp. That will help cut down on the pecking. In the future, no debeaking! It does hurt them, as you have learned.
smile.png

I left the "licking" chick in all day and the kids said she did fine no more licking or pecking or whatever it was. I installed a red light as well and they are resting peacefully.

As far as the "D" word I will never mention or breath or even think about that word or idea again. Thank you to the few people who were a great help during this learning experience. You are the reason I am a member in this forum, there is always someone here to help. Or at least most of you are here to help.

Thanks again for your time...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom