Do chickens need direct sunlight

Farmer Mike S

Songster
7 Years
Oct 18, 2012
Glen Mills, PA
The location I want to it my coop and run is under 2 trees. The area gets direct sunlight for about 6 hours, then it's shade. Now obviously shade isnt complete darkness, you still get light, just not direct light. I am wondering if this will be ok?

yes this is fine if your worried about the egg production don't worry about it as long as they have a place to nest some feed water heat fan Etc they will be fine

That will be fine and your coop will be much more comfortable then if it was in direct sun all day. As long as your birds have access to a sunny location in the run for a few hours each day they will be fine.

6 hours of sunlight is great! I feel that all animals enjoy some sun and sunlight is even good for buildings. The sun has UV rays that will kill some bacteria and dry up damp and moldy conditions. A lot of shade is also good for cooling!

The location I want to it my coop and run is under 2 trees. The area gets direct sunlight for about 6 hours, then it's shade. Now obviously shade isnt complete darkness, you still get light, just not direct light. I am wondering if this will be ok?
When given the opportunity, chickens will "self-regulate" as far as sunshine, shade, etc. If they have free acess to the outside, they will do great with having shade available as well as direct sunlight. Deep shade is also very important during the hot summer days.

Back
Top Bottom