do chickens stay in their yard ?

quailguy

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 31, 2011
i just got some serama bantams and im keeping them in a 4 x 4 rabbit cage but im wandring if i can let them loose for a couple hours a day without worrying about them leaving my property i dont have a fence but there is no stray cats around that i have noticed im only planing on letting them out when im supervising and i dont really like the thought of chasing them around all day

Last edited:
While I can't say for sure, I have the feeling that even if you are supervising them, turning them loose without some form of fencing or barrier between them and the rest of the world is going to wind up as a great way for you to get some exercise in. Do you have any fencing at all where you can maybe erect a temporary circle or something that would allow you to turn them loose while still keeping them penned up in case you have to head to the bathroom or something?

At first they will, but once they get used to being free ranged; they'll try to jump the fence.

How long have you had them? I was told that you have to leave them in their coop/run for at least 2 weeks so they know where "home" is. That way they will return to eat and roost. I have done this and my chickens come running when I call "time to go in"! Hope that helps!

depends how high the fence is
gig.gif

When my girls were younger/lighter and could get a decent amount of height I would trim one of their wings, it puts them off balance so they can't fly properly. Now none can, except the d'uccle, but she's too timid to 'venture out alone' lol

I have 7 acres and they got bold enough to visit the neighbors yard despite their 2 shelties and leave droppings(Neighbors have 4 acres). So now I have to keep them penned or get some fencing. Neighbor in question particularly hates my 3 guineas. Guess they(neighbors) like the deer ticks and plan on catching lyme disease which my nephew just got this year.

So, YES. They will roam! It may take them a few weeks but the grass is always greener....

Mary Ann

My neighbor let's her chickens free range all day and lately they've been brave and will go 1/4 mile from their home. Their flock comes to my house several times a day also. They will roam, especially if you have a rooster. I let mine free range for short time and they don't leave the yard. I have all girls. They don't stay in a group either.

Quote:
My first birds (goodness, they're a year and a half, now) do that when I say "CHICKY CHICKY CHICKIES!!!!", but the new batch of birds hatched in August just sit there and look at me blankly. They're quite frightened of the big girls, but I wish they'd get over it and follow me around like the others. Any suggestions?

Mine have been free ranging for nearly 2 months.. They just started exploring.. Grr.. I don't have any fencing on two sides, but on the other two, I do. They don't go on the road, they do wander over to my neighbours yard. I try to scare the poop out of them when they do this though. They don't attempt it again for a little while
roll.png

Mine NEVER jump the fence. Good thing my neighbour loves my chickens
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom