do chickens stay in their yard ?

Mine roam for sure, but if you could swing a radius of 100 yards from the coop I would say they don't get beyond that range. They have found 3 spots where it seems to be their daytime hangout. Still they move as a group for place to place but so far not outside that radius and within eye sight of the coop. Wonder how long that will last?

Quote:
My first birds (goodness, they're a year and a half, now) do that when I say "CHICKY CHICKY CHICKIES!!!!", but the new batch of birds hatched in August just sit there and look at me blankly. They're quite frightened of the big girls, but I wish they'd get over it and follow me around like the others. Any suggestions?

I have 9 pullets and a roo. 8 of my girls stay in the run, not wanting to venture out yet with the big ones. What I starting doing with them is going to the gate of my run and say the same thing, not loud enough foe the other 2 to hear..I have mealworms with me too!
wink.png
I do that everytime the big 2 are out of the run. So I am hoping that the 8 girls will get the hint once they start coming out to free range!

I've had my oldest hens for over a year and I taught them to come forage in the front yard with me. The sides are fenced but not the front. I stood out front with a long stick and taught them how far they can go. Now they never cross that imaginary line I laid down for them. They have sort of taught the younger ones about it, but I do have to keep vigil with that stick as one or two like to push it to see how far she can go before the Staff of God shoos them back.

Funny part is, they will not go out front unless I'm with them. I forget to close the gates and they won't step one foot out there unless I go out front. And when I return to the back yard, they come with me. Course it helps that i give them treats at odd times during the day so they follow me around hoping that this time they'll hit the jackpot.
lol.png

Quote:
My first birds (goodness, they're a year and a half, now) do that when I say "CHICKY CHICKY CHICKIES!!!!", but the new batch of birds hatched in August just sit there and look at me blankly. They're quite frightened of the big girls, but I wish they'd get over it and follow me around like the others. Any suggestions?

You have to give them cracked corn when you say chickie, chickie, chickie. I don't let mine free range until they understand and obey the cracked corn call. Even if they leave, they will come back at night once they know where home is. It takes at least a week in their coop or run for that.

I wouldn't like to let mine freerange without a fence. Some hens are just 'adventurous' and bound to get into trouble with predators / neighbours / dogs etc. One of my neighbours is lovely, but if my chookies found their way into her lettuce garden they would be roast dinner....

We have seen a few stray dogs around and they always make a beeline for our yard due to the chickens. The only thing that has saved the chickens from them is the fence. Even if it is only a wire enclosure around some star pickets I would find a way to fence them in when they are free ranging.

I would definitely let them free range a bit, they would be much happier. Maybe if you let them out later in the day (about an hour before dusk) they wouldn't get to far before it's time to roost. They really do come home to roost, so no worries! Good luck and give it a try
smile.png

Quote:
Good tactic. I do the same, let them out 2-3 hours before bedtime. I toss handfuls of BOSS out on the ground and maybe some cooked rice or bread crumbs too to keep them interested in scratching around the house. From time to time I still have to chase them all back into the yard. They are just like kids- pushing the limits once in a while.

We have a 4 foot wire fence around a medium sized yard. Once we clipped our hens wings they have never left the yard once and they free range every day from dawn to dusk. I think it helps to have a couple of fatties in the flock to "anchor" the flock. Generally they like to stick together, so the ground bound chickens keep the more adventurous ones in line
smile.png

I think the breed you have makes a big difference on wandering. I have mostly Wyandottes, and they are fat, content hens. My yard is fenced in, but there are places they could easily get out. They've never tried. My Buckeye and Minorca, however, are VERY adventurous, and seem to "egg" each other on (no pun intended). They will come to "here, chicky chicky' though, so I can round them up when needed. And I ALWAYS give a treat when I call them, so they come running ASAP. Speaking of that, nothing is funnier to me than a hen running toward you at top speed. I giggle every time!

Back
Top Bottom