Do Chicks Usually Lay on Their Sides?

Thank you to all who answered this. My chicks do this a lot too,1 in particular. I was starting to get worried. My white rock is 9 weeks old and as soon as she comes outside she digs a little hole, plops on her side and stretches her big wing all the way up and just holds it there for a minute or two. I can just imagine her saying "Aaahhhh, that feels so good!" Lol

Thanks for helping me - just read this and feel better. My runt did the side laying in the sun yesterday and I thought she was playing dead in fear. Now I know she was just relaxing.

Also lol'd the first time they did the sleepy face crash.

I think I must be the only person whose chicks never did this! Now, they may have done it when I wasn't around, but mine were ridiculously neurotic, so any time I was around they were too busy screeching and flailing and trying to kick a hole in the brooder to get away to flop down anywhere. (Boy was I ever relieved when they hit POL and settled down....) On the bright side, I never had a chick-induced heart attack!

One of my hens just had four chicks and they started doing this. It would have freaked me out too if one of my other hens didn't do the same thing. I was actually just worried about her last week bc she was doing this lol. Byc really helps put you at ease.

Yep. Mine do that too. I'm new to raising chickens so it scared me too. I kept checking on them and stirring them up, making sure they were ok. They probably kept wondering why I kept waking them up!

Back
Top Bottom