Do Coyotes Jump Fences?

Hardemans

In the Brooder
5 Years
May 8, 2014
A couple of weeks ago we lost a female goat to a coyote. We have a 4' fence surrounding our property and there is a strand of barbed wire roughly 3" of the ground. There was a dig under at a low spot and that is where the coyote got in. That area has be closed off.

This morning we lost one of our Tom turkeys to a predator. He weighed roughly 20 lbs. We checked the fence line and there is no sign of anything digging under. The turkey was killed in one spot close to the barn and then there were feather drops where evidently there was a struggle every 50' or so.

I question if this was a coyote or perhaps a bobcat? The head, one breast, and internals were eaten.

Any advice would be appreciated.

By the way - prior to the fence we kept the local predators well fed on chicken and turkeys. No issues since fall of 2015 until the last couple of weeks.

James Hardeman

A nice lady posted this image in another forum. Aprons and hot wires properly installed seem to be the best protection in conjunction with 2x4 welded wire (or better) fencing. Without hot wires the run would need to be completely covered with heavy welded wire which wouldn't be a bad idea anyhow. I've seen birddogs climb 8' high fences.

I don't know about jumping but he got up there "somehow"....

A couple of weeks ago we lost a female goat to a coyote. We have a 4' fence surrounding our property and there is a strand of barbed wire roughly 3" of the ground. There was a dig under at a low spot and that is where the coyote got in. That area has be closed off.

This morning we lost one of our Tom turkeys to a predator. He weighed roughly 20 lbs. We checked the fence line and there is no sign of anything digging under. The turkey was killed in one spot close to the barn and then there were feather drops where evidently there was a struggle every 50' or so.

I question if this was a coyote or perhaps a bobcat? The head, one breast, and internals were eaten.

Any advice would be appreciated.

By the way - prior to the fence we kept the local predators well fed on chicken and turkeys. No issues since fall of 2015 until the last couple of weeks.

James Hardeman

James, sorry to hear about the loss. Coyotes can jump much higher than 4'. I've got 2 fences 1 foot apart, one fence is 5 feet tall (closest to the house) and the one a foot behind it is almost 6 feet tall.

Last year there was a coyote trying to get at one of my cats, who ran onto the back deck and went up the oak tree to the roof. The coyote came on the deck after the cat so I let my labradork out to chase it off.

The coyote wasn't scared much, seemed more annoyed than anything. It effortlessly trotted (not running) the 25 or so yards to the fences and jumped over both of them without touching either of them. I saw it with my own eyes.

I've also seen bobcats in the neighborhood but not in my yard. I've not seen one jump but if it's anything like it's smaller house-cat brethren it would easily be able to scale even higher fences than that ****** coyote.

Coyotes will clear a six foot fence. Been there done that. You have to have a sturdy roof on it.. Also, they will chew through chicken wire or any thin wire fence.. I would suggest snare or trap. In my case, in my state, you can shoot year round to protect livestock. Hope you get it figured out.

Before we had birds we used to enjoy sitting on the porch in the evening and hearing the coyotes howl. Being from the burbs we thought that was the sound of the country and nature. Guess we were dumb suburbanites.

Now we know better. That is the sound of death!!!! With the wolves gone from here, just north of Houston, the coyotes thrive.

I have some Premier 1 electric fencing on the way. That may help.

Thanks for your answers. Guess there is little or no way to keep those bad boys out when they want in besides a coop or pen.

Regards

James

Even some dogs can do it.

Consider adding an outer perimeter of hotwire supported by horizontal post extended at right angle from existing upright posts. Make so hotwire 1 foot above ground and about 18" away from existing fence. More expensive option is a dog.

Really need to figure out some flock protection. After months of free ranging our flock of 19, we lost 12 hens in a single morning last week, nothing left but some feathers. They were all 1- 3 years old. Would hate to keep them confined to a run, since we moved to 13 acres from a historic town so the could free range.

I'm guessing a pack of coyotes? And from what i am reading here should i be worried about our 3 young kunekune pigs, they are ~30-50 lbs?

Back
Top Bottom