Do donkeys work well as guard animals for chickens

I keep a Jenny in the pasture, and she will go after strange dogs. At first, she also stomped at chickens and the geese. One time, she went after a free ranging hen and her chicks. Once familiar with my place, she stopped this behavior. My donkey has bonded with my cows. Donkeys work as livestock guardians because they are territorial. In other words, they are not protecting the chickens but protecting their territory. Some are better than others.

Donkeys instinctively hate dogs. Some will stomp at anything suspect. My chickens now are brave and will even walk under the donkey. I don't have any predator problems. I keep a good dog too. My dogs stay clear of the donkey. (My geese stay clear of her too.)

Donkeys as has been said are not guardians for chickens... however... they will bray loudly whenever a fox is around... all three of mine are great with my dogs, chickens, ducks and geese....the beige donkey is best friends with the GSD in the picture

There are no "guard animals for chickens"

There are animals that will deter predators in different ways, and for different reasons, but that behavior has nothing to do with the chickens at all.

Any such claims are simply mistaken

Donkeys are more likely to stomp chickens than they are to protect them. Chickens are small like the varmits that donkeys hate. They are brilliant smart and may be convinced that the chickens belong in the pasture and they might leave them alone. Before getting a donkey, read up on them and make sure that is want you want.

http://www.lovelongears.com/

The other thing I will point out about having a donkey. You will need a farrier who will work with a donkey and knows donkey hoofs which are different than a horse. Donkeys have a high tolerance for pain so won't show they have hoof problems until far along -- but they need tended to also. It is not something you can neglect.

My donkey is not easy when the farrier comes.

Back
Top Bottom