Do ducks change color after molting??

WhitF

Songster
Aug 14, 2021
Okay. So I have ducks. 2 pekin drakes that are in a separate space, and then 1 khaki Campbell hen and 2…/unknowns. Well I know 1 is a hen and 1 is a drake but no idea on breed. I got them at Atwood’s, in a straight run duckling bin. I thought the gal was a blue Swedish but she doesn’t have a bib. And the boy….no idea! I saw a pic of an Ancona and he looked similar. So my question is will their colors come in differently after they molt? They are 7 months old right now.
The drake is the white and gray and the female is the dark gray.

Attachments

• 0FDDE70A-B9A7-4FD7-978F-A59BCBE6B739.jpeg
    0FDDE70A-B9A7-4FD7-978F-A59BCBE6B739.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 46
Their colors often fade from the sun so the new feathers can look darker after they molt. Also, some drakes have eclipse vs breeding plummage. But, I would expect yours to look pretty much the same.
Oohh interesting! Is eclipse plumage female coloring?
I thought Atwood’s got their birds from a hatchery so I wouldn’t think they’d have mixed birds but I’m wondering if these ducks might be mixes of different breeds. Lol
Thank you for responding, by the way!

Oohh interesting! Is eclipse plumage female coloring?
I thought Atwood’s got their birds from a hatchery so I wouldn’t think they’d have mixed birds but I’m wondering if these ducks might be mixes of different breeds. Lol
Thank you for responding, by the way!
Yes, eclipse resembles a female. I don’t know what to tell you about your ducks. I agree that I would expect purebreds from a hatchery but maybe they are working a making their own hybrid. 🤷‍♀️ They are pretty.

Yes, eclipse resembles a female. I don’t know what to tell you about your ducks. I agree that I would expect purebreds from a hatchery but maybe they are working a making their own hybrid. 🤷‍♀️ They are pretty.
Ok cool, thank you. Ohh maybe so! They are very pretty! And so funny, I love them! Oh well lol
Thank you!

Ducks with coloring like your often get more white spots with each molt. I can't say for sure if yours will, but some of my 3 year old runners have completely different coloring than their first adult feathers.

Ducks with coloring like your often get more white spots with each molt. I can't say for sure if yours will, but some of my 3 year old runners have completely different coloring than their first adult feathers.
Oohh interesting! I’m making sure I take pictures when they change so I can see. So cool!

I have a blue Swedish drake that looks like your dark grey and a silver splash Swedish girl
Both yours ti me look Swedish
The white ring around the eye and the shape abd size are like mine
I got mine from a friend who has the patents and mine are full Swedish
I have added pics of mine
First picture is my two Swedish drakes and the second pic is my female

Attachments

• E7BC9CD7-1124-43B2-A5FF-A7EE86870581.jpeg
    E7BC9CD7-1124-43B2-A5FF-A7EE86870581.jpeg
    335.1 KB · Views: 15
  • 4292A658-B7EF-4582-BD0C-0D368D72AA73.jpeg
    4292A658-B7EF-4582-BD0C-0D368D72AA73.jpeg
    277.6 KB · Views: 14
  • D322124F-8E23-4011-99BB-10A85709FA2B.jpeg
    D322124F-8E23-4011-99BB-10A85709FA2B.jpeg
    241.7 KB · Views: 15
I have a blue Swedish drake that looks like your dark grey and a silver splash Swedish girl
Both yours ti me look Swedish
The white ring around the eye and the shape abd size are like mine
I got mine from a friend who has the patents and mine are full Swedish
I have added pics of mine
First picture is my two Swedish drakes and the second pic is my female
Ohhh look at those pretty babies! Yes I think so! My girl doesn’t seem to have a bib but maybe she’ll get one? Lol the drake started as a yellow duckling with some brown and is now white and grey.

Back
Top Bottom