Do Ducks lay eggs in the Winter?

Akpahsj

Chirping
8 Years
Jun 9, 2011
Alberta, Canada
Well, my Drake went thorugh his molt and got his green head and all his feathers back at the beginning of september, and what I understood from being online was that they could also have ducklings in the winter.
Is this true? Because we have expecting eggs, but so far none.

And are ducks supposed to lay unfertilized eggs? The only eggs my Buff Orpington hen has ever laid were fertilized. Thanks.

My ducks have hatched ducklings well into November, but we have fairly mild Winters here. Ducks lay both unfertilized and fertilized eggs, depending on their access to drakes.

Well we often have -30 C out here. Alberta can have some crazy winters!
And my ducks are always together, and were just waiting for signs of her laying eggs so we can separate them.

Last winter my runners laid eggs. They slowed down in late fall, then picked back up again when I moved them to a warmer nighttime shelter.

This year seems similar - a few are finishing their molt, we're getting one or two regular eggs a day, and one, two or no softshelled eggs (calcium issue I think).

No drakes here at this point.

ducks can lay in winter, my heavy layers like the golden300s do. seasonal layers like mallards won't. if i've got spring ducks that haven't started laying yet, I generally don't expect them to start until spring.

Good to know - Maryland winters can be weird - really cold snaps followed by really warm snaps - they have an enclosed house and a runbut since the cool weather began getting them into house at night has been tough, they seem to love hanging out in the cool. They are still laying, one for each lady, and i have a few in the incubator thanks to Mr. Drake. We will see how they do this winter and maybe if they stop a warmer house next winter. They are buff orpington, so they are supposed to be good layers but never got good winter info.

my duck is laying right now!!! 3 tonight i counted. but so far none of hatched. but she layed them yesturday so in about 35 days or 28 they may hatch. I'll keep you updated!!! (if you want me to)
big_smile.png

I have three domestic backyard ducks... two pekin females and one mallard male that I purchased as ducklings this spring and are now laying for the first time about 5-6months later. I would love to see some ducklings but I am new at this, so I have questions and concerns! :-( I am concerned because my females completely neglected the eggs they laid so far....( they have been laying a few almost every day just starting ab a week ago). ..I've read that it is because their first few clutches are infertile but I just want some reassurance about that, and also how likely are they to take proper care of their eggs when they lay a fertile clutch? They have sheltered bedded safe areas they can lay in, but so far they have been leaving their eggs randomly scattered in one particular area, with no nest or care given. I am also concerned due to the cooler weather coming in here in NC in late October. I do not own an incubator and do not want to buy one unless I need to in order for any eggs to have a chance of making it.

Back
Top Bottom