Do I free range?

jamerz424

Hatching
Dec 7, 2016
We have 1 peacock that is 6 months old. We have had him about 3 weeks. Within his first week with us the barn doors flew open and he got out. Im not sure how long he was out for, but he stuck around. He stayed near the barn and wanted to go back in the barn. Once he went back in we locked him back up bc we read he should be locked up for 3 months. Since he stayed near the barn that one time, do you think he will continue to stick around if we let him free range?

We have 1 peacock that is 6 months old. We have had him about 3 weeks. Within his first week with us the barn doors flew open and he got out. Im not sure how long he was out for, but he stuck around. He stayed near the barn and wanted to go back in the barn. Once he went back in we locked him back up bc we read he should be locked up for 3 months. Since he stayed near the barn that one time, do you think he will continue to stick around if we let him free range?
I would make sure that he knows where feed and water is and a friend before turning him free range. If he's missing one of these he may go on an adventure to find it.

It's always a toss up especially when a bird doesn't have other peas around to keep him in the area. Peas are very social birds and like to live in groups. I've found that the more established birds that are around the less likely any one of them is to wander off. I'd keep him penned and get him some friends if you can. From what I have seen though there is never a guarantee. I know people who let a bird free range for years and then it decided it felt like wandering off and I've had instances where birds hadn't been around for two weeks before getting out and stuck around like it was no big deal. I confine all my birds now but when it comes to free ranging there's always some luck involved.

Thanks! We had a peahen that we bought at the same time but I think something spooked it and it broke its neck by flying into the nesting box because the same day the barn doors flew open she was dead inside the barn. She didn't have any scratches, missing feathers, blood, battle Wound, etc. We do we have about 50 chickens and one duck to keep him company until we do get A peahenfor him.

Back
Top Bottom