do i have all of the right information on peafowl

shanezoobuild

In the Brooder
Jul 11, 2015
peacock
I’m designing a community farm and I was wondering if you could do both or one of the following for me and either answer a few questions I have and or read over my care sheet and tell me if there’s any wrong information or things you would do differently. It would mean a lot J

Questions
When is too old to breed
Male to female hatch rate
When to assist
Brooder height
Chick to grower feed amount
Grower to maintainer feed amount
How many weeks of decreasing temperature in brooder
Weeks of grower feed until maintainer
Butcher age
How much homologous serum to use
Paratyphoid treatment
Tetracycline amount
How much Nitrofurazon, metronidazole and dimetridazole to use for treating trichomoniasis

Haemoproteus treatment

Write up

Peacock

Special care

Males will fight
Temperament
Territorial

Cost
Egg cost
Chick cost
Adult cost
Grower to butcher feed amount
Maintainer feed amount

Enclosure

Size
100sf
Height
7ft
Fence type
Chicken wire
Shelter
Heated barn
Equipment
Heater. Food, grit, water and calcium dish. Nest box bottom of barrel

Terrain

Grass
Diet

Feed type

Game bird or chicken 18% maintainer
Amount
Constant
Minerals/other

Grit
Breeding

Sexing

Males will have the recognizable tail
Ratio
1-5
Female 2-3 male
Season
spring
Diet
Added calcium
Eggs

Clutch size and numbers per year

5-9. 3 clutches
Collecting time
Late morning. Every 2nd day
Storing
10 days, room temperature, 70 80% humidity
Hatch time
Incubation temp
Humidity
Candling
10 days
Stop turning
Lock down
When to assist

Move to brooder

Dry
Brooder
Size

2 sf
Height

Temperature decreasing

Feed type length
Gamebird or chicken starter 16%

Water dishes
No marbles
Special nutrients
Grit
Grow out pen

Size

15 sf
Feed type length

Butcher

Butcher age

peacock
I’m designing a community farm and I was wondering if you could do both or one of the following for me and either answer a few questions I have and or read over my care sheet and tell me if there’s any wrong information or things you would do differently. It would mean a lot J

Questions
When is too old to breed
When to assist
Brooder height
Butcher age
Paratyphoid treatment
Tetracycline amount
How much Nitrofurazon, metronidazole and dimetridazole to use for treating trichomoniasis

Haemoproteus treatment

Write up

Peacock

Special care

Males will fight
Temperament
Territorial

Cost
Egg cost
Chick cost
Adult cost
Maintainer feed amount

Enclosure

Size
100sf
Height
7ft
Fence type
Chicken wire
Shelter
Heated barn
Equipment
Heater. Food, grit, water and calcium dish. Nest box bottom of barrel

Terrain

Grass
Diet

Feed type

Amount
Constant
Minerals/other

Grit
Breeding

Sexing

Males will have the recognizable tail
Ratio
1-5
Female 2-3 male
Season
spring
Diet
Added calcium
Eggs

5-9. 3 clutches
Collecting time
Storing
Hatch time
Incubation temp
Humidity
Candling
10 days
Stop turning
Lock down
When to assist

Move to brooder

Dry
Brooder
Size

2 sf
Height

Temperature decreasing

Feed type length
Gamebird or chicken starter 16%

Water dishes
No marbles
Special nutrients
Grit
Grow out pen

Size

15 sf
Feed type length

Butcher

Butcher age
I'm a little confused on the set up. I can help answer a few. A couple of these questions may go south, for example the butcher question. Peafowl used to be used as a game bird but nowadays they are more of a fancy kind of animal like a swan if you wish to look at it that way. Not sure what everyone else does but for the nutrition part it depends on the breeder. For example, I use a 22% protein for adults all year round and a 28% protein medicated game bird starter feed for chicks for the first 4-8 weeks of their life. Others chose an 18% protein so you will get different answers. Best to give ranges for those questions. Incubation I believe is 26-30 days. I usually have chicks hatching out on the 28th day. There's still something that need to be corrected but I don't have time to add more. I'll jump back on to do more corrections.

peacock

Questions
When is too old to breed
When to assist
Brooder height
Butcher age
Paratyphoid treatment
Tetracycline amount
Haemoproteus treatment

Write up

Peacock

Special care

Males will fight Not as disease resistant as chickens. Peafowl can be resistant so long as they are healthy and given everything to help keep them healthy.
Temperament
Territorial Sometimes. Not all peafowl are territorial. Peafowl can be very friendly. Peafowl are social birds and look for companion.

Cost
Egg cost Depends on your area.
Chick cost Depends on your area.
Adult cost Depends on your area.
Maintainer feed amount
Enclosure

Size
100sf per bird
Height
7ft
Fence type
Chicken wire
Shelter
Heated barn Only needs to be heated for high % Spaldings and Green peafowl. Indian peafowl are very hardy.
Equipment
Heater. Food, grit, water and calcium dish. Nest box bottom of barrel Don't need grit nor a nest box. My peafowl have access to dirt to take dust baths and eat pebbles to help digestion. My peahens make their own nests.

Terrain

Grass and dirt
Diet
Not sure what you're asking.
Feed type

Amount
Constant
Minerals/other

Grit Grit doesn't carry much for minerals. It does contain some but it's mainly to help with digestion.
Breeding
Not sure what you're asking.
Sexing

Peacocks will grow a train and hens will lay eggs. With the wild pattern barring indicates male, solid wing indicates hen.
Ratio
1 cock can breed 1-5 hens
Season
spring and summer
Diet
Added calcium What exactly do you want for diet?
Eggs
Not sure what you mean by this.
5-9. Hen will only lay one clutch unless eggs are collected. If eggs are collected hens will lay more eggs.
Collecting time
Storing
Hatch time
27-30 days
Incubation temp
Humidity
Candling
10 days
Stop turning
24 days
Lock down
65 humidity
When to assist
After 24 hours
Move to brooder

Dry
Brooder
Size

2 sf per chick
Height
I would give a peachick at least 6 ft so they can practice flying.
Temperature decreasing

I would start decreasing the temp after 2 weeks in 5 degree changes before they go without a light when they're fully feathered.
Feed type length
Gamebird or chicken starter 16% I would increase the protein for chicks to be at least 20% in my opinion.

Water dishes
No marbles Why wouldn't you add marbles to prevent drowning?
Special nutrients
Grit Grit doesn't have much a significant nutrient value. It does have some nutrients but it's more to help with digestion. Peafowl can get improved digestion from pebbles. Some complete feeds contain all the nutrients they need. Other times green plants such as alfalfa can be good for them. Fruits and vegetables can give them some extra nutrients too.
Grow out pen

Size

15 sf
Feed type length

Butcher

Butchering peafowl isn't a common practice anymore. This question may not be answered by others or might be frowned upon.

Butcher age

Info may be different from breeder to breeder. I tried to include some things other breeders do different or the same as I do. Hopefully others will jump in soon.

Last edited:
Chicken wire can only be used safely where there are no predators. It won't keep snakes out and isn't strong enough to protect from coons,canines, or any feline bigger than maybe a house cat, and I wouldn't guarantee it would keep a house cat out.

Chicken wire can only be used safely where there are no predators.  It won't keep snakes out and isn't strong enough to protect from coons,canines, or any feline bigger than maybe a house cat, and I wouldn't guarantee it would keep a house cat out.

If its stretched tight it will be stronger, the issue with coons is they eat the bird through the wire holes. A fox would have to work at pulling the wire and try it may, and prevail if enough time is given. A large dog tears right through it no issue but, Ive only had a few dogs that where smart enough to rip the wire off as most spend all night digging.

Gerald Barker

Gerald- Are you saying that you consider chicken wire to be safe against predators?

I use chicken wire as well and I have foxes, raccoons, coyotes, stray dogs, and mountain lions. I've found places where animals try to dig inside but fail do to burring the board under the ground so far. It's also important on what side the chicken wire is stapled. If stapled on the outside of the pen it will cause tension to pull on the boards when outside pressure is applied. If stapled inside the pen the when pressure is applied from the outside the chicken wire will give. I test my chicken wire by running directly at it and falling on it. If it holds me I consider it good. If it gives in I need better staples, more staples, or more boards to increase strength. If you have 8'-12' gaps and done properly the chicken wire holds well with bowing in.

Back
Top Bottom