Do I have an aggressive rooster?

We strung line up in the air all over their free range area to deter hawks ( I have lost two silkie roosters to hawks prior) and they are secured in coops at night. I don't want to get rid of him but I can't have him being aggressive to kids either. The behavior he shows towards the silkie hen and roo, is it normal, will he just try to establish dominance and I should let happen or will he hurt them? And I guess I can't have two roosters anyway though they are seperate now.... ??

Don't underestimate the problem here with your 3 year old and this rooster. Adults can learn to "read" a roosters behavior, learn when he's thinking about attacking and react appropriately. A 3 year old child is not capable of this in my opinion. Also they are smaller, tend to make quick movements, maybe loud noises, roosters just tend to want to go after them before they'll go after an adult, easier target. Children are short, they are at much greater risk of serious injury with a large rooster who jumps up, attempts to spur and maybe pecks as well. It's just not worth keeping a bird like that around and risking an eye injury or other injury to your child.

As far as your pair of Silkies? Yes he will continue to attempt to dominate the male and take possession of the hen. Silkies are often not a good match to be housed with standard breed roosters.

To be honest, I'd not be spending time trying to reform this bird, a rooster has natural ingrained tendencies and some of them can be pretty nasty. If you are lucky enough to get a nice rooster that's great, but a nasty one is just not a good combination with small children.

Silkies, let's be honest, are cream puffs (which is ok, they are one of my favorite breeds
wink.png
). That other rooster is probably trying to establish dominance. I would let them sort it out, supervised. I always allow my roosters to sort it out with me supervising. That way, they sort it out with me there, where if anything happens I'm to their aid. It's better this way because if you are not home when they sort it out, you might come home to a hurt rooster.

The nastiest tempered cockerel I ever had was a silkie. He started biting me at 3 weeks old. After a brief "discussion" he quickly learned never to mess with me. However at 6 months old he went for my daughter, flogging her legs and cornering her in the run. It was the last thing he ever did.

If your daughter is going to have a lot of interactions with your chickens I would remove the one that went for her.

Thank all of y'all for your input.... I guess overall I need to decide what I want to do BC I keep the 3 silkies separated BC the barnyard mix roo and hen are bigger, although the hen is very sweet and meek.... I wanted a bunch of chickens running around together and so far haven't been able to do that so it's been ALOT of extra work. I don't know who to keep, who is safe to keep it get rid of and start all over with a different breed.... BC I also have a trio of seramas in our enclosed garage now that I don't know what to do with BC it has been too cold outside for them and they are so much smaller than the others.

If you are seeking advice, I would either get about 6 more standard sized hens so your rooster has a flock to manage, or I'd get rid of him and focus on your Silkies. If you keep him, I'd keep him and the larger birds separate from your Silkies. See how it goes. I have had an Ameraucana rooster and he was mean, mean, mean! My best day was when a hawk got him. I recently ended up with a rooster from McMurray's hatchery (he was a freebie), but he's a very sweet laced buff Polish. Beautiful! He also regards me as dominant - although I do occasionally have to remove him from a hen in my presence. He doesn't try much, though. He's NEVER tried to do anything aggressive with any of us at all, but then, I don't have small children. I do NOT handle him, but neither do I ignore him - I talk to and feed all of my birds - they view me as the provider of meal worms and other wonderful treats. My worst offenders are my leghorns - they are so curious and "pushy". I had one fly up and grab the bag of treats out of my hand because I was not feeding them fast enough! She got a swat for her trouble and hasn't done it since.

So, whatever you do, make sure YOU and your children are going to be able to have fun with, and enjoy your chickens! It's no fun having to "look over your shoulder" for an unpredictable rooster!

He ATTACKED YOUR CHILD. He's been exhibiting clear signs of dominance toward you and your child, that's what that wing dropping and sideways shuffling are. I'm thinking your family is not in a good place to have free ranging roosters at this point. You're not familiar enough with their behavior/signals to interpret his intentions, and even if you were it's pretty impossible to keep a 3 year old tethered to you so the rooster doesn't get to her.

Get rid of the bird. Count yourself lucky she only has a scratch on her face and still had both eyes.

Ok donrae, I came on here stating that I was a newbie and asking if this was aggression or dominance establishing.... BC I'm new and wasn't positive. Everyone has to learn right? I'm not going to endanger my children which was why I was asking opinions on the best course of action. I don't know what us not being in a good place for free ranging roosters means?? I already have advertised to get rid of him and he hasn't been around the kids since then. I thought this was a place to learn from others, not be looked down on BC I didn't make the correct decision immediately :( I was trying to find out if it was a one time thing and he just happened to hurt her or if that's just what they do. I'm already upset that she got hurt but thanks for your approach.

Back
Top Bottom