Do I have to clean my chicks?

GoldenGirlsChicks

In the Brooder
Mar 24, 2024
One of my chicks has some poop on the butt. Do I have to clean them up? How do I do that if I have to? They are just a few days old. Thanks

That's probably pasty butt. You can search on the site for more info, but basically just clean it off with a warm wet cloth. It can be from keeping the chicks too warm. Check your temps and watch how the chicks behave. It's fairly common with hatchery or feed store chicks.
If it is left too long, the poop can accumulate until the chick can't poop and eventually dies.

One of my chicks has some poop on the butt. Do I have to clean them up? How do I do that if I have to? They are just a few days old. Thanks
Can you post a clear picture of it's butt real quick before you do anything?

MAKE SURE you don't pull on anything. You can easily pull the intestines right out of a chick.

I don’t have a thermometer yet. We originally put the light in the corner so it’s warming the entire box with the hotspot in the center. The chicks usually crows up in a corner sorta away from the light. Based on some other posts I think I’m gonna move the lamp to the end of one side so there will be more of a defined hot zone and cool zone and see how they react.

Do I clean the box every day or every few days? There isn’t that much mess we can see. Also, do I change out the food and water every days or can it go a few days? I am going to put the food and water feeders on a brick so it’s higher than the bedding. I do see some bedding in the food and water.

I also noticed one of them pecking the others. I think they may be bored and will try to put a couple things in there to entertain them. Some posts suggest a parakeet mirror and a small roosting bar

They will like the roosting bar! You can also take them out of the brooder for short periods. I put an old sheet on the floor, and make a cardboard corral on it. You can sit in there with them. They love to explore, including you! They will sit on you and run around.

You can also begin taking them outside for short excursions (weather dependent) at about a week or 2 old, but make sure they have access to chick grit. They will undoubtedly find something to eat out there!

I change water daily. Food stays, but I take out any shavings. I also replace the bedding every other day, though I also only have 3 chicks at a time. I use a disposable human bed pad with some shavings sprinkled on. It makes it easy to pick up the whole thing.

Pecking can be a sign of overcrowding. What does your setup look like?

I don’t have a thermometer yet. We originally put the light in the corner so it’s warming the entire box with the hotspot in the center. The chicks usually crows up in a corner sorta away from the light. Based on some other posts I think I’m gonna move the lamp to the end of one side so there will be more of a defined hot zone and cool zone and see how they react.
An old fashioned thermometer for body temp is good too. The hotspot shouldn't be over 100F / 37C for newly hatched chicks.

I havent ever dealt with pasty butt. But sometimes poop just gets stuck to the fluff right below the vent. So i use a warm towel until it loosens then trim the fluff there so it doesnt happen again.
Thank you for this tip, I have one who had trouble with digestion and now they've had pasty butt for a week straight, never though to trim his puffy butt feathers. Maybe it will solve the issue, I've just been slicking them down with coconut oil hoping the poop will slide off (it doesn't.. lol.)

Back
Top Bottom