Do I need a window for sunlight in the coop?

Lauren51

Chirping
May 9, 2022
I've only had my pullets out in the coop for a few days and had the heat lamp on at night. The run wasn't finished. Today it got very warm; decided they didn't need the heat lamp ... only to realize they'd be in the pitch black ... so I put in a 60 watt bulb. Do chickens need to see the light outside?

Last night, I had to put them inside the coop. They were huddled together in the dark outside. This was their first day in the run and apparently nature hadn't kicked in to tell them to go IN at night. Or maybe they liked their dirt and grass outside.

Help on the idea of a window and will they know when to go in for the night? Do I choose the time or do they??? Can you tell it's my first time raising chickens?!

If they have access to a run during the day a window is not necessary, they will start going into the coop at night after it has become a routine you will have to catch them and put them in for a while every night for a bit first.

Any photos of the coop? "Pitch black" makes me wonder if there's any ventilation in there, or is it so heavily covered that it's rendered ineffective?

Yes I would recommend a window (preferably one that can open), for multiple reasons:
- Chickens need light to navigate inside during dusk in order to roost. If they can't see they either won't go in or will go in and just sit right by the entrance. Yes you can use artificial light but it costs money and has to be turned on and off (either via timer or manually)
- A window that can open will add extra ventilation, which is especially helpful as it warms up in summer

Welcome to BYC. Where. in general, are you?

A coop needs windows -- or, more accurately, vents -- to let in light and, more importantly, to allow the free flow of AIR.

Here are the general guidelines:

For each adult, standard-sized hen you need:
  • 4 square feet in the coop (.37 square meters)
  • 10 square feet in the run (.93 square meters),
  • 1 linear foot of roost (.3 meters),
  • 1/4 of a nest box,
  • And 1 square foot (.09 square meters) of permanent, 24/7/365 ventilation, preferably located over the birds' heads when they're sitting on the roost.
This is what you're looking for in terms of airflow:

Airflow Crayon.png

If you show us photos of your coop we'll help you get it all sorted out. :)

I would also like to see pictures of the coop.
You need ventilation and it sounds like there is little to none.
I installed windows on all 4 sides of my coop to let it as much natural light as possible. It also gives the coop lots of additional ventilation during warm nights.
2CAA8E144B7C_1591473054938.jpg

Last edited:
As a temporary measure before you put a permanent solution in place, you may want to leave the entrance open at night, covered with a hardware cloth screen (the metal mesh cover of fish tank comes in handy for the purpose) to secure the entrance from night predators. It'll allow airflow and the morning light to come in.

Our first tiny prefab coop had no ventilation, no window, we had to leave the door open at all time. We had to manually bring our young poulettes into the coop the first two nights.

It took only two nights to train them. After we had the predator proof attached covered run built, we leave the coop door open all the time. Only close the secured big run nightly.

Welcome to BYC. Where. in general, are you?

A coop needs windows -- or, more accurately, vents -- to let in light and, more importantly, to allow the free flow of AIR.

Here are the general guidelines:

For each adult, standard-sized hen you need:
  • 4 square feet in the coop (.37 square meters)
  • 10 square feet in the run (.93 square meters),
  • 1 linear foot of roost (.3 meters),
  • 1/4 of a nest box,
  • And 1 square foot (.09 square meters) of permanent, 24/7/365 ventilation, preferably located over the birds' heads when they're sitting on the roost.
This is what you're looking for in terms of airflow:

View attachment 3102016

If you show us photos of your coop we'll help you get it all sorted out. :)
THANKS! I'll take pictures in the AM.

Relax, chickens are better at being chickens than we are at being chickens.

That said, "bird brain" is a popular and persistent insult for a reason. Our little dinosaurs are no Einsteins. Not uncommon to have to put the first flock into the coop by hand a few times in the evening to help them learn the routine. They will do the same thing when they start laying eggs, even if you have fake eggs in the nests to give them a clue.

First couple egg drops, much cheering will occur, egg falls on the ground, cheering continues, bird act as if they haven't a clue how that new thing ended up on the floor of your run.

Eventually, they get it. Mostly.

Back
Top Bottom