Do I need to predator proof my run?

Christie311

In the Brooder
Feb 27, 2023
I purchased a nice sturdy coop that was built locally, it has a small roofed run attached to it but we would like to expand that run and add on to it. For the coop itself we plan to put an apron around it but when it comes to the extended run does it need to be predator proof? We are planing to use chicken wire (the coop uses small hardware cloth) with a clear plastic roof on top. I know chicken wire is not predator proof nor are we planning to put an apron around the extended run but is that a bad idea? My neighbor has something very similar it's predator resistant but not predator proof and she doesn't have issues. We want to keep the hawks out and any random cat or dog that might stroll up during the day. It seems that during the day this would be ok for them. What are your thoughts? In central Ohio with raccoons, hawks, fox, coyote, skunk, opossum, loose dogs, and cats, I have seen a mink once as well....

I do something similar. My coop and main run are bomb proof. My secondary run is vinyl covered chicken wire (got a bunch free). If I'm not around I leave them in the main. If I'm around the house I open the gate and let them roam back and forth durning the day. I don't even have the 2nd run covered or have and appron around it.

I do something similar. My coop and main run are bomb proof. My secondary run is vinyl covered chicken wire (got a bunch free). If I'm not around I leave them in the main. If I'm around the house I open the gate and let them roam back and forth durning the day. I don't even have the 2nd run covered or have and appron around it.
This is helpful thank you! Helps to know this can work out. I am home and outside a lot and so is my daughter.

My day run is predator proofed to my "day time" predators.
My day time predators are domestic animals and hawks so 2x4 animal wire fence and a hawk net. I shut the door on the heavy armored coop/run at night.

Attachments

• IMG_0846 (1).JPG
    IMG_0846 (1).JPG
    1 MB · Views: 63
  • IMG_2993.JPG
    IMG_2993.JPG
    901.2 KB · Views: 66
We also have a smaller secure run and a semi-secure daytime run. The secure run connected to the coops is enclosed with 1/2" hardware cloth. The semi-secure run is surrounded by 2" x 4" welded wire fencing with hawk netting over top. Our only regular daytime predators are hawks, so we feel mostly confident in leaving them there during daylight hours whether we are home or not. If we are going to gone after sunset, we move them into the secure run before we leave.

My day run is predator proofed to my "day time" predators.
My day time predators are domestic animals and hawks so 2x4 animal wire fence and a hawk net. I shut the door on the heavy armored coop/run at night.
Ok perfect! This is what I was picturing for myself! Thank you so much, I am feeling a lot more confident.

Back
Top Bottom