Do I put this duck down?

DukesDucks

Crowing
Oct 6, 2019
Eastern Ontario, Canada
I having a sad morning after what I assume was a raccoon attack. My coop has been secure for 4 years with no problem but this morning was heartbreaking. My Muscovy ducks were in their coop for the night. Seems to me that they must have panicked and broke out into the run. One was dead inside the run fence which is what makes me think raccoon try to pull them through. A second one had so much damage to her head and face that I put in down. The drake is totally unscathed.
I am attaching pics of the third girl. Warning graphic. She has damage to her bill and it is hard to tell how bad. She seems bright and immediately jumped into the pool when I filled it, and was drinking. She has a limp, but I found a slight wound on her thigh which I cleaned. She seems to be oblivious to the damage. I haven't put out any food until I get some advice. A vet is NOT an option here.
My thought is to see how she is over the next few hours. I would really appreciate others' honest thoughts about whether I should put her down.

Attachments

• duck beak.jpg
    duck beak.jpg
    355.9 KB · Views: 503
This girl with the damaged bill can heal. She will need special care to keep it clean and keep her calm after the attack. She may need a deep bowl to feed from and may prefer ducky soup -- gruel made by dissolving pellets in water. I add a few meal worms that float and a few peas -- from a deep bowl rather than dry pellets. Keep a deep tub of clean water nearby the ducky soup so she can wash after eating

I have two birds with damaged bills, one from a raccoon attack and one muscovy drake from fighting another muscovy drake. Both healed up and live good lives. Both still prefer ducky soup to dry food. Both find it easier to eat peas from a bowl of water than taking them from a food bowl

She is up and about this morning. Even laid a perfect egg. She is still limping a bit but not so much that she is using her wings to get around. I watched her have a drink from the kiddie pool. She wanted in to the pool but was struggling so I built her steps to get in and out.
She is missing the top tip of her beak and I'll have to wait to see how the rest heals. I left some fresh duck chow soup so hopefully she eats some today.
I'm changing her name to Miracle.

Since she seems to have a will to live from what you described as her demeanor this morning I would give her every chance. It's when they have given up and we can tell that is when to say good bye.

I am so very sorry you have had to put one down from her injuries. I know how hard that can be. :hugs Please keep us updated on how she is doing.

I got the duck in a bath this afternoon and cleaned her up. The blood on her body washed off and she only has two small wounds that are not as bad as feared. She was certainly very feisty when I caught her. She did try to run but given the location of one of the wounds, on her thigh, I think she is sore but still put up a valiant effort.
The beak is still a mess but I did my best to clean it up. It and the body wounds were treated with antibiotics. I'm not sure if she ate or drank but both are within easy reach of where she is resting.
Tonight I made the coop door more secure, repaired the small rip in the run fence, set a trap, and the field camera. I'm still thinking raccoon but, chatting with neighbours today, there is a Fisher active in the area. One neighbour heard a commotion at night then saw the Fisher slam into his fully grown turkey, then cart it away.
Thanks Canadian Wind for the offer. I split my Muscovy ducks into two coops once spring hormones set in. I have two drakes so they each get to hang out with some females. Unfortunately this has left one drake with only one remaining female. I think I need to give the injured female a few weeks recover time before introducing any one news. I'll watch that he isn't hassling her too much. I might just take one from the other drake since they all live together during the fall and winter.
Thanks for your advice and support. They are "not just ducks" they are my responsibility to do the best I can to care for, feed, and protect them.

Up-date on Miracle the Muscovy
She is doing really well - eating, drinking, and behaving like a normal duck. She is the middle duck in the picture, with her buddy Mud Puddle and drake, Kitkat. They are spending time in their day spa while I finish renovating/securing their run and coop.
Thank you all for helping me decide to give her a chance.
20230614_084440.jpg

Dang, so sorry to hear (and see!) this!

When one of my girls got attacked by ... something last year, I used Absorbine Silver Honey on it, and it worked great.

If I had any extra females I'd offer you some, but right now it's just extra drakes. :( But, that can change as I have several sitting right now. Let me know. :hugs

Back
Top Bottom