Do I seriously have 8 cockerels?

I think your chipmunk EE is a cockerel, even my EE cockerel didn’t have that big of a comb at that age. I don’t know about any of the Orps though. BR are definitely girls, and the white EE may be as well.
:bow
My head is spinning. You have no idea how many sexing threads I’ve been lurking and searching through.
If the welsummer is a guarenteed pullet (from feathers) but the comb is so boyish (big ol wattles), then does that mean there’s plenty of hope for the others?

:bow
My head is spinning. You have no idea how many sexing threads I’ve been lurking and searching through.
If the welsummer is a guarenteed pullet (from feathers) but the comb is so boyish (big ol wattles), then does that mean there’s plenty of hope for the others?
I think so! The feathers are definitely female patterned for the welsummer. I know the redness and large combs freaked me out when my 13 week olds were growing up around 4-5 but it slowed down, except for my true cockerels.

Alright y’all. This is driving me insane.
Ordered 8 sexed pullets from Ideal poultry. 9 arrived, one died, so in a theoretical perfect world I should have 7 pullets and 1 cockerel packing peanut. Yea right.

They are about 4.5 weeks old now, 5 weeks on Wednesday. I know that’s young, I will be updating this thread. (I’ve also got baby photos if wanted)
Sorry for the blurry pics, I thought these were in focus but they were all wound up and being nuts.

3 buff orpingtons. I have a hard time telling them apart; one is bigger and has a larger comb, and one is much smaller with a slightly tinier comb. The third is inbetween and always confuses me.
View attachment 1501118
View attachment 1501120

Two barred rocks. They are identical in combs and size.
View attachment 1501133
View attachment 1501119

One welsummer. S/he is definitely a favorite, these wattles have me panicking.
View attachment 1501121
View attachment 1501129

One pure white EE. S/he’s really grown on me.
View attachment 1501122
View attachment 1501128

And one “chipmunk” EE. We mutually hate each other, this is the only one who I wouldn’t care if it was a boy. Almost broke my neck trying to catch this little snot.
View attachment 1501130
View attachment 1501131
View attachment 1501132
Welsummer is a pullet because she had a red breast and not black. Your two barred rocks also look like pullets based on their feather pattern. They have more black then white. The brown EE looks male based on those red shoulder patches and comb.

The rest I’m in sure of. Orpingtons can be very tricky because they are slow maturing so it may take awhile before you know with them.

Thank you both! I am very curious about the EE’s, especially since seeing someone else’s GORGEOUS red EE hen that apparently everyone said would be a boy.
(not my photo, I’ll try and find the original poster. Saved it because she’s so dang pretty)
DDF9F5E2-1B8B-43E4-AF1D-89377343CE97.jpeg

Also have no idea what to predict with the white one, I had never seen a pure white EE before this!

Thank you both! I am very curious about the EE’s, especially since seeing someone else’s GORGEOUS red EE hen that apparently everyone said would be a boy.
(not my photo, I’ll try and find the original poster. Saved it because she’s so dang pretty)
View attachment 1501182
Also have no idea what to predict with the white one, I had never seen a pure white EE before this!
The red is evenly distributed on that pullet, and isn’t the coppery-toned brick red. Not like my boy’s.
81160A9B-F9FA-4339-8420-DC1F94E0D485.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom