Do I seriously have 8 cockerels?

Pics
20180812_121034.jpg

20180812_121535.jpg

This is what my boy looked like... some said "pullet"

Probably doesn't for those, but those aren't true red wing patches any way, that's a mixture of multiple patterns and colors to get that and the color probably already appeared early in the birds lives.
Early as in... 4 weeks old?
That is my confusion. I read that male specific red wing feathers come later with other sexually mature feathers.

Early as in... 4 weeks old?
That is my confusion. I read that male specific red wing feathers come later with other sexually mature feathers.
I raise tons of Partridge Rocks (they are wild type as well) and the males always get the red patches at 4 weeks.

On chickens, never believe all the book artists say, I've found even the most popular poultry raising books to have large errors in them. I mean, the most trusted poultry raising guide (I think it's Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens) has so many errors in it. On one page it even has a picture of a Black Star pullet and says under the picture 'Rhode Island Red' hen

Unfortunately, at 4.5 weeks of age, those Orpingtons are looking more like cockerels to me (since this breed is notoriously slow-maturing). :hmm Could you keep us updated on them?

As far as the rest, I'm thinking pullet on Whitey, pullets on the Barred Rocks, and definite pullet on your Welsummer. Wellie cockerels feather in VERY differently. :)

Sadly....*sigh*.....I'm going with cockerel on the last EE. Not only is there a lot of comb development at such a young age, but the start of red wing bars scares me.
~Alex

Unfortunately, at 4.5 weeks of age, those Orpingtons are looking more like cockerels to me (since this breed is notoriously slow-maturing). :hmm Could you keep us updated on them?

As far as the rest, I'm thinking pullet on Whitey, pullets on the Barred Rocks, and definite pullet on your Welsummer. Wellie cockerels feather in VERY differently. :)

Sadly....*sigh*.....I'm going with cockerel on the last EE. Not only is there a lot of comb development at such a young age, but the start of red wing bars scares me.

~Alex
I absolutely will keep this thread updated on all of them! Nothing worse than a cliff hanger. ;)
I’ve pretty much convinced myself that the buff orps are boys too, but what’s the chance of 3/3 cockerels of one breed in a sexed pullet order..?
We’ll see. :pop

Back
Top Bottom