Do I seriously have 8 cockerels?

Pics
I'm loving watching this thread. I ordered (Meyer Hatchery) 8 female chicks of 8 different breeds. I'm going to start a new thread if you guys want to guess at mine! I'm thinking I got 8 pullets!!!
Yes! Pls do! I would live to play the guessing game.

I'm loving watching this thread. I ordered (Meyer Hatchery) 8 female chicks of 8 different breeds. I'm going to start a new thread if you guys want to guess at mine! I'm thinking I got 8 pullets!!!
Yes, and try and document their growth if possible! There’s not enough weekly chick photos for identifying gender around here.

Also I got through ideal at my feed store this year here in tx, and ended up with 2 Roos, one buff Orpington. He was crowing by 10-12 weeks, and we knew from the comb for sure by 7-8. Looking back it was probably earlier my female buff has just gotten the smallest semblance of comb at 23 weeks.
I can't speak for any feed store but my own but I can tell you that my feed store sells females only.
I have seen the boxes the chicks arrive in clearly marked straight run. Just saying.

Here’s the three buff orps. I really need to get standardized photos, the angles and lighting make it very hard to accurately judge them. I’m also seriously wondering if something is “wrong” with two of them.
This is lil Nub. She had a stuck egg tooth that broke off, hence the name. She’s very sweet but she’s got the strangest apple shaped fluffy head, it makes her look very baby faced. This photo makes her comb and wattles look much bigger than they are.
CC3AAC08-25ED-421F-BE99-9822FA6EE810.jpeg

This is Nippy.. she/he isn’t very friendly at all, and it’s got very weird “creepy eyes.” That isn’t just the photo, it permanently has eyelids that make it look.. like this. Comb and wattle are accurate to life.
E72BF3DB-F65B-48BA-89D9-66DC338F67D5.jpeg

And then Floppy. Super nice but had the biggest and reddest comb by far.
8FD942D7-2AD8-4948-B99A-016CD8F60F45.jpeg

Terrible photo but you can kind of compare all three here. Floppy is on the left, creepy Nippy is at the top, and baby faced Lil Nub is on the bottom.
22DF4228-553F-40FC-B86B-E467D6C202B9.jpeg

I think your Welsummer is going to be a hen. The distinct arrowhead marking on its head when it was really small is usually a sign of that. We have raised twenty-five, they are beautiful chickens! Don't be concerned about the waddles. Ours have the biggest I have some of the biggest I have ever seen.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom