do meat birds start crowing before they are ready to dress out?

pueawjapygrta

In the Brooder
12 Years
Jan 28, 2007
do meat birds start crowing before they are ready to dress out?

I'm hoping that I don't have to deal with a bunch of crowing meat birds!

I would think they would start trying because my layer flock chick roos are going on 8 weeks old and they are crowing now. I am also raising meat birds (have 5 that are just over a week old and getting 15 more this Wednesday) and I plan to dress them out by the time they are 8 weeks old. I would think there would be some crowing going on by then (mine are straight run so I'll have a little of both), however, young chicks arent' very good at it yet and its still pretty quiet compared to a full blown roos crow.

Yup, you will have some crowing going on starting around 7 weeks - it is one of my signs to know they are ready to go in! I take mine in at 8 weeks to and the boys are just starting to crow - sounds weird as it is not a full crow, just the beginnings.

I started out with 27 cornish x's. I began butchering and dressing at about 6 weeks, starting with the roos (mostly). Today, I did 9 more, they're about 7 weeks old and I haven't heard any crowing yet. They do posture with each other and act like little roos, but no crowing.

Back
Top Bottom