Do Peafowl have Strokes?

C-Bee-A-Pea

In the Brooder
6 Years
May 26, 2013
Hey Guys,

So I have a 16 year old peacock (that I raised from a peachick) that has been sick for over 5 weeks. I have tried to take him to a vet but no one here wants to take one in as a patient. He has free ranged all of his life up until I found him sick. I have given him Antibiotics, De-wormer, electrolytes, and everything else I could think of that might help. But none of it seems to help. He eats and drinks normal but is VERY unstable on his feet. He is only able to take a couple of steps before he goes in a circle and falls down. He also continually gasps every time he breaths and is not able to fly at all. I have tried everything I know and was wondering if you guys think he might have had a stroke(and not going to recover). Winter is approaching and I don’t want him going through winter like this.

Thanks for any help,

I'm so sorry your guy is having trouble.
hugs.gif
I'm sure you are very attached to the poor fellow!
First of all, where are you located? In case we have any ideas about vets or resources in your area...

I don't know about strokes in birds, but it's great that he's still eating and drinking.
Could he have flown into something? This might account for some neurological damage, and maybe he has something broken interfering with his breathing?
Hoping our experts will have some ideas to share...

Would think stroke is not impossible, however he could have gotten raccoon roundworm, IE:Baylisascaris .
Ivomec can be tried, orally would be fine.
However, IF it is raccoon roundworm and it's been going on for over 5 weeks then the nematode has prob. already affected the brain, meaning
chances of curing him would prob. be impossible at this point in time.
Have you been able to tell what his droppings look like ?

Would think stroke is not impossible, however he could have gotten raccoon roundworm, IE:Baylisascaris .
Ivomec can be tried, orally would be fine.
However, IF it is raccoon roundworm and it's been going on for over 5 weeks then the nematode has prob. already affected the brain, meaning
chances of curing him would prob. be impossible at this point in time.
Have you been able to tell what his droppings look like ?
I don't think birds can get them:
http://parasitipedia.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2596&Itemid=2878

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom