Do roosters have larger chests as chicks?

sierrabrady

In the Brooder
Sep 21, 2022
Do rooster chicks have bigger chests than hens? I have one 4 week old chick that hatched from one of my hens and is being raised by her. I also have some older chicks that are sexed pullets (hopefully) from the store that are different breeds being raised away from the mom and single baby. The 4 week old has a massive chest in comparison to my other chicks who are definitely at least a week or two older than it. Not sure if this difference could be because of the breed, gender, eating better since its the only baby, nothing specific or maybe even something wrong with it. I know it’s too soon to tell so that’s not really what I’m asking but I attached a picture anyways. I’m trying my best to learn any of the differences between roos and hens as soon as possible since I can’t keep anymore roos and I get attached easily 😂 I couldn’t find anything about this on google so maybe its not a thing but I had to ask anyways and would love to know if anyone has noticed a difference in this in their experience.

Attachments

• 47C79EC0-6E19-4D3E-86FD-942431EBB09D.jpeg
    47C79EC0-6E19-4D3E-86FD-942431EBB09D.jpeg
    471.9 KB · Views: 77
My cuckoo marans is the same way, and I believe she is a girl. She’s extremely floofy compared to my other chicks which are different breeds.

28BB9D63-E8F5-4F8C-968F-89972C516DB9.jpeg

Chest size is generally more a breed indicator rather than a gender indicator.
Thanks that makes me feel a little better. Someone commented on this picture saying “He’s so cute” so I was like is it the chest making them think it’s a roo or what lol

Cuckoo maran? If so looks like a pullet to me. Boys tend to be whiter. But sourland is right the size of the breast are a breed thing.
Not sure the exact breed. The dad was sold as an easter egger but looks like a barred rock and not positive who the mom is but i do have a cuckoo maran. I’m pretty sure my cuckoo lays brown eggs and this one hatched from a white egg so I don’t think she’s the mom. Thanks for your thoughts :)

Back
Top Bottom