Do roosters require companionship?

SAHMof2

Chirping
9 Years
Sep 11, 2010
My father and I have split our flock. I had too many roosters so I gave him one for future needs! Problem is he has a very happy block right now with two roosters that are doing well together.

He also has another pen with pheasants and peacocks. Currently he's got the rooster in an old pen by himself as he is waiting to see if the peacocks eggs she is sitting on will hatch. They don't want to disturb the current chi they've got. In the meantime is it okay to keep the roo in his own pen all by himself and then move him into the peasent/peacock pen once we know more about the potential/new peacock chicks?

Thanks.

I think all chickens like company. Flock animals like horses, goats, sheep are herd animals and like others of their own kind for company. Can't imagine many animals that like to be solitary all the time. The roo would probably be okay for a short time, but definitely would be happier with a hen or 10
smile.png

As a child we had a solitary rooster, Charlie, but he was a total pet. He strutted his stuff and crowed in the garden, came in the house and loved to be petted.

He did not seem to be in anyway disadvantaged judged by his behaviour.

We kept him for years like that, but he was more the family dog than the family rooster.

I had a bantam rooster whose hen got killed by a predator. He lived alone for a couple of months before I found him another suitable hen. I though he was pretty happy as a bachelor, he still strutted around and appeared fine but let me tell you when I brought him his new hen he positively GLOWED!!! She wasn't terribly thrilled with him initially, but he won her over and they became my very favorite pair.

so, yes, they really do prefer companionship. Can they live without it, sure, but they really won't be fully happy without at least one hen (or 10, as previously mentioned!! lol)

They like companionship, but as long as you have him somewhere where he can see and hear the other birds, he should be fine.

Last edited:
Thank you so much. He can hear them all where he is. Hopefully it will only be until the peacock chicks are sorted out. In November I'll bring him (SLW) my only SLW hen. Hopefully they'll make beautiful babies.

Charlie sounds like a wonderful addition to a family!

Back
Top Bottom