Do these hackle feathers indicate a rooster?

5raven5

In the Brooder
5 Years
May 27, 2014
Maine
This is my 8 week old Easter Egger. I hope the fancy hackle feathers do NOT indicate a rooster. What do you think?

Not that that age, roos only get their pointy hackles at around 3-4 months, Do you have a side picture showing the body markings? those are a better indicator.

Last edited:
Yep, girly girl
smile.png

Yay!! I was getting nervous because I love her and I can't have roosters. Thank you!
smile.png

I hope this works...
I'm brand new to all of this, as in these are my first chickens ever. I'm worried my little "Ameracauna pullet" is a rooster bc of her feathering. I know, I know it's probably an Easter Egger but I don't care. I DO care if she is actually a he. What do you think?

I've seen hackle feathers develop on roosters much earlier then 3 - 4 months. Some breeds seem to get them as soon as they feather out. However, that bird doesn't actually have pointed hackle feathers, but a penciling that creates a black V and gives it the appearance of pointy male hackle feathers. What you have is a classic example of an Easter Egger pullet. And the type of coloration expressed, is female only! Males would have a red head instead of brown, and a black chest. So, you have a young pullet.

I hope this works...
I'm brand new to all of this, as in these are my first chickens ever. I'm worried my little "Ameracauna pullet" is a rooster bc of her feathering. I know, I know it's probably an Easter Egger but I don't care. I DO care if she is actually a he. What do you think?
She looks like a pullet :)

Back
Top Bottom