Do they ever return?

sab

Crowing
13 Years
Jul 28, 2010
Ripley, WV
Just wondering.... I'm sitting here worrying over a silly hen that didn't come home tonight. I think she wondered off too far and evening fell on her. Cold and rain will be here by morning. I'm wondering.... have you had them return after being out all night? What are my chances of seeing that bird again? My first loss....

hit.gif

I'm sorry, hope for the best. I never had that happen because mine are in a fenced yard but I hope it works out. Chickens are pretty tuff, she should be ok.

Found her this AM being demolished by a hawk. This is my 1st kill. Lesson learned - the girls don't leave the run without me. I usually let them out an hr or so everyday. Had luck for 3 yrs. I'm guessing by the location of my bird that she was safe all night and was working her way back to the coop early this AM when the hawk found her. She's not more than 50 ft from coop. The other chickens and ducks just know - they aren't coming out of the coop. None of them have been in the run this AM. The run has hawk netting over it but I guess they aren't taking chances. Now I know -- no more free range without me.

I'm so sorry, I was thinking about her today and hoping she made it home. :-(

I am so sorry for you loss. I have lost two birds to hawks. One of the birds was my favorite, an EE. Now I sit outside with my birds if they are out of their coop. I usually have a BB gun with me, just to scare as you can't shoot hawks since they are protected. We live in a rural area, with really only one neighbor who is close. For some reason they throw there leftover food in the field beside their house. Of course this gets tons of hawks, buzzard and any other creature to forage in their yard.

My husband is building me a new coop for my birds. It has netting on the top. I really like the coop, but it makes me sad that my birds won't be able to forage our 3 acres of property anymore.

I am so very, very sorry for your loss.

I really appreciate all your condulences. What's really sad, by looking at the feathers on the ground and where they start and end, she was almost home after spending the night outside. The 1st feathers are thrown just 15 ft from the coop. Then over the hill more and more.

I have a chair right there to sit with them. I'm trying to understand how people let their flock free range. I see chickens in yards all the time. I guess it doesn't matter if 1 gets picked off now and then. Only matters if you gave them names......

I really appreciate all your condulences. What's really sad, by looking at the feathers on the ground and where they start and end, she was almost home after spending the night outside. The 1st feathers are thrown just 15 ft from the coop. Then over the hill more and more.

I have a chair right there to sit with them. I'm trying to understand how people let their flock free range. I see chickens in yards all the time. I guess it doesn't matter if 1 gets picked off now and then. Only matters if you gave them names......

I think people free range as long as they have good luck. My rooster's pretty paranoid and usually lets the girls know when there's a hawk, and everyone stays in the coop for a few hours until it's gone. I've had a hawk swoop but only after my dog started killing, so... it really is sometimes just about luck. I'm sorry you had to lose one, it's always bad when they're a chicken you've gotten to know and love.

I live in the city limits. Can't see having a rooster. My 2 pekin ducks do a pretty good job as Roos. They herd the flock in when danger abounds. I'm pretty sure they all heard the hawk attack as they wouldn't leave the coop yesterday AM and the ducks stood guard at the coop door. They only came out when the really big roo showed up --- me.

I have lost two birds to hawks. One was my favorite. A very sweet EE, that was flew up to my shoulder and loved to sit on my lap. After this killing I never let my birds out alone. We have so many hawks in our area. So every afternoon I go outside and sit with my chickens. The hawks still come, but with me screaming like fool, they usually leave.
My sweet husband is building a new bigger coop. I am not sure if I will feel safe in it or not.

Back
Top Bottom