Hatching
Jun 16, 2023
I am new to ducks and chickens..
I have a Drake and Hen Muscovy.
A Drake and Hen Cayuga.
1 Drake and 5 Hens Khaki Campbell.
And 17 Laying Hens and 1 Rooster.
Chickens aside...
Do I need to house each pare separately?
We bought day old straight run and was hoping for all females lol.. that didn't happen.. we actually bought 25 Khaki Campbell's.. and ended up with 9 females and 14 males.. 2 passes away at a few days old from niacin deficiency... *that was horrible to watch* if drakes are kept with thier hen 24/7 365.. are the eggs always going to be fertilized? Or is it certain times of the year.. I did have a mentor... who ended up just being full of it.. and I am trying to do my best for these beautiful things

:welcome They need to be separated if you plan on hatching purebred eggs. If separated, one drake to one hen may cause problems with overmating. Most drakes will breed year round; although, fertility may be lower in periods of shorter day length.

:welcome They need to be separated if you plan on hatching purebred eggs. If separated, one drake to one hen may cause problems with overmating. Most drakes will breed year round; although, fertility may be lower in periods of shorter day length.
So when I was t to breed I put the drake with the females in a breeding run? Then take him out and use it as a nursery?.. can I keep my 3 drakes in a run... a d all the females together?

Back
Top Bottom