do they pay for their keep?

fowlsessed

Crowing
12 Years
Nov 16, 2011
east Tennessee
I'm just wondering if your birds pay for their own feed/care from cash made selling them? I love raising them, but boy can they really poke holes in the wallet!

lau.gif

How many you have. I have 28 and It cost between 45 and 65 a month. Not so much for a hobby.
Now figure that farm fresh cage free eggs at wal-mart are more than 3 dollars a dozen and I get 10 eggs a day that is more than 4 dozen a week. Take 4 doz. times 3 dollars you have 12 dollars a week times 4 weeks in a month and you have 48 dollars so the answer is yes and no. Yes I figure eggs in my belly the same as sold because I don't have to buy them.
In reality I get between 6 and 7 dozen a week during prime laying season. There are months that they really slow down or even stop laying so you have to average out.

How many you have. I have 28 and It cost between 45 and 65 a month. Not so much for a hobby.
Now figure that farm fresh cage free eggs at wal-mart are more than 3 dollars a dozen and I get 10 eggs a day that is more than 4 dozen a week. Take 4 doz. times 3 dollars you have 12 dollars a week times 4 weeks in a month and you have 48 dollars so the answer is yes and no. Yes I figure eggs in my belly the same as sold because I don't have to buy them.
In reality I get between 6 and 7 dozen a week during prime laying season. There are months that they really slow down or even stop laying so you have to average out.
You can't do chicken math with Peas
lau.gif
they don't lay that much...
I have 19 birds all free ranged, ain't built a pen one for them.. i got no over head to speak of and i still don't see how i could come out ahead with them. only pea brains like us are looking for more peas
celebrate.gif

Back
Top Bottom