Do weak male chicks grow up to be runt roosters? will they make smaller chickens?

MoffatChicken

Songster
9 Years
Jul 23, 2014
In the spring I had a chick that was ~30hrs trying to get out of his shell and, for only the 3rd time in 9 years, because we were in Covid lock down, I assisted the chick out of the shell. He hatched ok but he was SO weak! He couldn't stand for the first 4 days, I had to hand feed/water him. Then he was able to stand but I had to treat him for spraddle leg, which lasted a few more days. However, but soon after that he was he was running with the rest of the chicks! At first he was smaller than the other chicks (that he hatched with) but he did catch up and now at 18 weeks he is only a bit larger than the females, although he is very active and walks very tall :) .... My question is if I keep him for breading is it in his DNA to make smaller/weaker chicks or was his weakness just the result of hatch conditions, position in the shell, or issues from the shell itself?

Most hatching difficulty results from imperfect incubation conditions. I always help where necessary because it's most likely my fault. If you like him then I think you should use him. You'll know when you incubate his first batch of eggs if there's anything to be concerned about.

I have not done breeding yet, but transferring over from seed-saving, I believe that vigorous good health should be the #1 factor in selecting what to perpetuate in any breeding situation short of a less-healthy individual being the only available representative to save a species/breed/variety from extinction.

My question is if I keep him for breading is it in his DNA to make smaller/weaker chicks or was his weakness just the result of hatch conditions, position in the shell, or issues from the shell itself?
Was he malpositioned in his egg, meaning did he pip the wrong end of the egg?

I strongly suggest never to breed any chicken that has shown whatever kind of issues.

As you will never know for sure what the reason was, there is a risk that future chicks will inherit weaknesses and/or otherwise damaged genes.

This does not apply to accidents, of course.

Last edited:
Was he malpositioned in his egg, meaning did he pip the wrong end of the egg?

I strongly suggest never to breed any chicken that has shown whatever kind of issues.

As you will never know for sure what the reason was, there is a risk that future chicks will inherit weaknesses and/or otherwise damaged genes.

This does not apply to accidents, of course.
He did pip a little lower in the egg but even when he couldn't walk right he was a fighter, lots of spirit. Issue is that my rooster is 5.5 years old and isn't doing well and this guy was the only rooster I got from the 7 that hatched. I'm thinking I will keep him until next spring and see what happens?

Back
Top Bottom