Do you and your chickens have a vet?

I live in No. Va. and have found two vet clinics who will treat chickens. They are catagorized as "exotic" vets but they know their stuff. However, it costs an arm and a leg to go to either of them. I don't want to tell you how much I've spent on my chickens at their clinics! Amazingly, I live in a very populated area just 20 minutes outside of the nation's capital!

We are sooooooooooo blessed here to have a wonderful vet that treats anything practically...and if he cant he finds someone who will.

He loves our chickens... he saved two of our girls a few years a go.... so when they start laying big time we bring in our extras to the vet office for him and his staff as a thank you
smile.png

He is the very best ever... all his staff rock!

http://www.nwanimalcare.com/default.aspx

Northwest Animal Care Hospital

Last edited:
I thought it was interesting to read in James Herriot's book series All Creatures Great and Small that when he was first training to be a vet in England during the 1930s (I think) that he was not taught much about treating dogs & cats. At that time the focus was on horses and large livestock like cattle, sheep & pigs. It seems that dogs & cats then were thought of like chickens are today -- not really worth the trouble & expense to treat, easily replaceable & interchangeable. Certainly people were fond of their pet dogs & cats, but wouldn't seek professional care for their ailments or injuries.

Perhaps the more that people keep chickens as pets the more common it will be for veterinarians to see them as patients.

Meanwhile, if you cannot find a good avian vet, try the wildlife rescue centers in your area. Often they're more familiar with tending to the needs of a variety of birds and can offer good advice & may even be willing to see your chicken.

I live in the city and currently, I have not been able to find a vet that is familiar with chickens. I have called a few and the reaction was the same "a chicken?" As I heard the eye-rolling in the background.

So, I have read lots of things on here, this place really is the best source of information. So many experts in regards to chickens, honestly I trust the people on here rather than a vet anyways. Plus, its free.

You can sometimes find a wildlife rescue person who will provide assistance, expecially for an injury. Broken legs and wings are not that uncommon for wild birds.

Also, getting treatment for an injury is sometimes easier than getting treatment for a sick bird. Wounds require fairly similar treatment, regardless of the species. Illnesses and medicines can vary greatly.

If all elese fails, show up as a walk-in with your injured pet and plead with them to take care of your beloved pet. Other patients in the waiting room would not take well to a severely injured pet being turned away for no obvious reason; htey will think, "could that happen to ME and my beloved Fluffy?".

I am blest to have a wonderful avian/exotic vet who will see my chickens. He costs much less than the vet the cats and dog go to; unfortunately, Dr Burke is a bit of a drive or I would transfer all my animals to him.

Quote:
Now, that's smart! What an excellent idea. Especially if you already know the vet because they care for one of your other animals. They might not want to lose your trust or business.

ethingtonart wrote:

I realize this would be quite a drive from Bloomington, but I highly recommend her. The doctor spent a good two hours talking with me today to try and figure out what is wrong with my Easter Egger Ginger. Ginger also had an exam, fluids injected, a antibiotic shot, a stool test, and a swab for microbes all for $113! I have never been treated so humanely by a doctor (animal or otherwise)! She really wants to help!!

All Wild Things 317-255-9453

It's in Broadripple (if you know where that is) just a little bit north of downtown Indy.

I'm sorry about your loss

Thanks for this, that was one of the ones I found. I've had the chickens for awhile and up 'till now all the little injuries, etc I've been able to figure out on here and treat myself. This was my first case of a true emergency, and though I found one or two sympathetic vets on the phone, none would help and the vast majority just said 'no' and hung up. I tried the local wildlife rehab place (which is a great idea) but never heard back.

I've been in contact with the ASPCA and the AVMA, and now I'm trying to work out what kind of petition and where might best help 'nudge' some vets into rethinking their positions on this. Look at all the people on here, who are willing to pay to have their poultry treated- and think of all the potential customers they are missing out on!​

Back
Top Bottom