Do You Have An Opinion On Killing Predators?

Um, guys....this is the INTERNET. People "might" dare to have a differing viewpoint than yours once in awhile.
lau.gif
Yes, everyone does what THEY feel is appropriate to protect their chickens. I happen to believ that removing their food sources and habitat from my property is the first line of defense. A great, sturdy chicken house and run is also critical. But if others wish to free range their birds, and shoot everything that steps foot on the property, that's their choice as well. To each his own. Not a big deal. Take a breath. Again, this is the internet where opinions are plentiful.
Absolutely understood, but what I can't understand is why some feel the need to continually reiterate their viewpoint.
idunno.gif

let me know if you ever do, i'm very interested in hearing if coon meat tastes like chicken, because it seems like everything else does. haha!

No, but it's worth a try and would be a free meal. I'm all for a savings, even if it's fresh trapped meat.
smile.png

I've eaten a lot of wild game ranging from bear to woodchuck to moose to elk and all of the more common meats. Raccoon is one meat that I will never eat again.
sickbyc.gif

Thanks for letting me know. I'll scratch that one off the list. Possom is another one I'll try.

My husband hunts deer, duck, turkey and will fish salmon. We eat everything he brings home. :D

Well, if I can block predators and discourage them, that's my preference of course.

I don't have any onus against predators. It's not a crime to be hungry. This isn't about blame, or hate, or rights, or good vs. evil, or expecting the animal to be something different. This is just what the situation is. It's not fair, it's not nice, it's not pleasant, but that's life. The animal is going to keep trying and I have a duty to protect my charges.

They are a predator and I am a predator. This is the grim reality of life and farming. Deter as much as possible and don't shirk your responsibilities, and then trap and shoot is my opinion on the matter.

I will take out anything that takes out my stock. Anything.
I do have to say though I've lost very few birds over the years. My chicken house is almost absolutely predator proof, the only creature that could get in would be one very determine black bear and those are rare in my neck of the woods but not unknown to be here. The run is almost predator proof as well.
The one thing I always tell people who ask me about keeping poultry is if you are not going to build a predator proof home and make sure they are locked up each night shortly after dusk then don't even bother because you won't have them long anyway.

Um, guys....this is the INTERNET. People "might" dare to have a differing viewpoint than yours once in awhile.
lau.gif
Yes, everyone does what THEY feel is appropriate to protect their chickens. I happen to believ that removing their food sources and habitat from my property is the first line of defense. A great, sturdy chicken house and run is also critical. But if others wish to free range their birds, and shoot everything that steps foot on the property, that's their choice as well. To each his own. Not a big deal. Take a breath. Again, this is the internet where opinions are plentiful.

Thanks for the "support". I didn't have to delete them, but I'm sick and tired of all the silly responses. Somebody thinks that the lowly common man doesn't have the right to defend himself. Fine. I'll stick to minding my own business. And the phone won't be the first thing I grab if/when I hear a window break in the night. Good luck to all you 911ers. 45-minute response time ain't a comfort to me.
chickortreat... And i will be right there behind you!

I am done with this thread as well.
Not deleting my posts... and not ATTACKING those who have different beliefs..
but if i say i will defend my livestock AND MY HOME, i become an uneducated "hick" dashing around the yard killing all that moves in the middle of the night....
Why does this keep coming up???
Pointless. I will stand firm on my beliefs as well.

Back
Top Bottom