Do you have more problems with feathered leg or crested chickens?

Quote:
As cute as Silkies are I don't want any as they are broody so often. I know I'd feel bad for her and buy her fertile eggs--then too many chickens! I think Australorps are pretty assured of a home here now after what so many have said. Thanks for your input!
frow.gif

Back to the original question of brahmas or polish I would definitely say get the brahmas.

Polish tend to be very timid and tend to get picked on by the other chickens (literally). They also seem to be weaker in general. More prone to disease. I started out with several. I had one die, got to cold, and a beautiful one that was so picked on by the flock the he had to hide most the time in corners away from everyone else.

I haven't got a brahma, but I think I would like 1 some time. Just to let you know I was able to keep 2 polish, 1 rooster and 1 hen that are doing well with the flock I have. But you do run more risks.

Quote:
Do your gals lay decently too? If they average 125 a year (especially if they continue laying 2-3 eggs a week in winter w/o artificial light) that would be fine. I also have a cover for our tractor (for them to scratch for bugs in different areas) and permanent roofing over their run so hawks shouldn't be an issue for ours--thanks!
frow.gif

My bantam cochins are great little layers, and average 5 eggs a week when they're not broody. They'll be a year old this month, and so far they've gone broody 2-3 times each.

My polish lay several eggs a week, but I can't tell their eggs from the silver-spangled hamburgs, so I'm not exactly sure. Their eggs are fairly small, but I see them in the nest boxes a lot.

My silkie hasn't started laying yet, unless she laid her first egg yesterday. The bantam egg that we got yesterday looked a little different than we've been getting, and it might have been hers, but I'm not positive. She's 6 months old. She's my favorite. I think.

Every flock needs a few ornamentals, anyway, just for eye candy...
love.gif

Well, Autralorps don't have feathered feet, so no worries there
big_smile.png
I have Black Australorps, and in the sun they are absolutely stunning - The feathers are iridescent, and show mostly green, but also have blues and purples mixed in... My girls aren't overly friendly, but they will come running for treats and just in general, when I go outside, they will come over (just don't want to be held
wink.png
) Have FUN!!!

Quote:
As cute as Silkies are I don't want any as they are broody so often. I know I'd feel bad for her and buy her fertile eggs--then too many chickens! I think Australorps are pretty assured of a home here now after what so many have said. Thanks for your input!
frow.gif

Oh, I love my Australorps. They are gorgeous birds. Orpingtons are very pretty birds too. Which the Australorps originated from the Orpingtons.

I am hatching HINKJC's Lavender Orpingtons right now, and they are absolutely to die for!!!!!!!!!!! Jody has some gorgeous birds! The way it looks right now, I think I am going to have 8 of them. I have 5 that have hatched and the other 3 have pipped.
ya.gif
I am going to breed for the Lavender Australorps.

I think you would be very pleased with Australorps. They will go broody, but not like a Silkie. Those Silkies love to hatch and raise babies.

I don't much about the other TopHat breeds, but I am sure we have plenty of members that could give you some good advice on the different breeds.

Get some Easter Eggers. They are hardy, fun, great layers and friendly. We did some work on our chicken house to day and one of our EE hens was very perturbed that we were interfering with her laying an egg. I was moving it with the tractor when I peered in and Gladys (the EE) had snuck past us and was in her nest box spot concentrating despite the tractor pushing the whole house about 15 feet.

I have seen problems with crested bird's vision. Probably not the best choice for free ranging. My silkies don't even see you coming when you pick them up. They can't see predators and are also at a disadvantage if other birds try to pick on them. The featherlegs are no problem especially if not showing (you wont have to worry about feather condition).

I got tired of having to trim my crested chicken's "hair" and got rid of them. If I didn't trim them they'd get so poofy they'd get lost with every step they took. I know other people think it's cute, amusing, and great for catching them, but I just found it very sad.
sad.png

Quote:
For what you want, and given your list of breeds, I think Barred Rocks would be a good match for you. They are good layers, easy keepers, and they aren't typically broody. They definitely have personalities too.
big_smile.png

From what I understand, Brahmas tend more towards broodiness, and Polish don't make the best layers.
idunno.gif

Are you planning on just getting one breed? Have you considered trying a variety of breeds...you could do that thru a hatchery like Meyer Hatchery and their small order program. I have a variety of breeds for my layers...they're fun to look at and I enjoy getting different colored eggs. Sometimes the breeds you read about and think you will love end up not being as great as you thought...
wink.png

For example...this year I've really fallen in love with my Meyer Hatchery Blue Andalusians...wasn't expecting that....they just happened to set themselves apart--personality wise-- from the other breeds I ordered this spring.

Back
Top Bottom