Do you keep your feed out at night, always accessible?

johndeerelover

Chirping
10 Years
Oct 7, 2013
Carroll County Maryland
I've read about putting your feeder somewhere rodent proof at night. Anyone do this? Or do you keep the food available all the time? I thought putting the grain away at night would avoid rats etc, but I wasn't sure if that's a good idea in the winter or if chickens eat at night etc. Also, those who close their chickens up at night in the coop, does that mean you keep water in the coop? I'm new to chickens so I have lots of questions :)

I keep food and water in the coop now. If you have food in there, it is best to keep a little water too, to help them wash things down.

Rodents will eat feed if it is available out in the run. I used to close my feed up in a metal container every night and this was so much more labor than just leaving it in the coop.

The chickens won't eat if it is dark in the coop and they can't see, but I have a light on a timer for them so they are closed up in there and I don't want feather picking if they have no food.

Chickens do not eat or drink in the,dark. It will attract mice, raccoons, possum and others that do feed at night. I don't bother to remove feef at night but I do leave it in the coop or it gets eaten by the magpies.

Food and water is out in the run, there is no spilling of the food with the 5 gallon bucket feeder I made and have no problems with rodents 5 gallon waterer with nipples stays clean to, when the auto door opens they go straight for the water, my thoughts were if the water is in the coop it will just add moisture which I'm trying to keep out with winter setting in.

We have those PVC pipe feeders and I was getting mouse poop in them so I now put lids on them at night. The chickens are pretty keen to get out in the morning so if you close it up you can't sleep in lol. But I'd rather them a bit hungry first up than mice peeing and pooping in it.

I have water in there 24/7 with a single automatic watering cup hooked up to a 15L drum outside the coop.

Last edited:
I have a hanging feeder in my run that is high enough that mice and such can't reach it, but my chickens can. And I'm not that worried about mice after I sat and watched my hens murder a mouse, then run around like crazy with it hanging from their beaks, seeing who could steal it from who. After that little incident, I've found that rodents don't stand a chance if they get in with my girls!

Mine have access to food and water in the coop and in the run. No other creatures can get in except maybe some little mice!

I have enough cats and my dog to patrol and kill rodents. I leave my feed in the coop all the time. I fill the feeder every few days, so there's always feed there. No rodent issues.

Back
Top Bottom